diy solar

diy solar

Connecting a 12v battery to a fusebox with devices that don't like to exceed 12.0 volts

unikron

Hi,

I have a small test setup with Solar panels->SCC PWM->12V gel battery.
I want to connect 12V devices, but some of them are sensitive to over voltage, when connecting one of them to the battery(which was around 12.7V), it damaged the device, it was still powering up, but did not work well after that.
I'v tested the original power supply with my volt meter, and it was putting out 11.94V max.
And sometimes the battery can go up to 13V, I thought of using a voltage converter, so it will be max 12V output, but reading reviews, people say they are not accurate.

Thanks.

While charging, the battery's system voltage can rise all the way to 14.4-14.8, depending on the battery, anything that requires <12.0V is more than likely to be damaged. Most 12V solar panels actually output ~17-18V, with the PWM controller letting the battery drag the voltage down to what the battery wants to charge at.

If you were testing the original power supply with a voltmeter, unconnected to anything else, most likely the 11.94V you were reading was the open curcuit voltage, or Voc. That's going to be higher than the voltage at maximal power, or Vmp. More likely, the operating voltage of your product was only ~9.5-10.0V? What exactly was the product that got damaged?

Thank you for your reply,
The product was a fiber to ethernet adapter, and now it's working(the internet company came to replace it, and told me that someone played with the fiber cables in the building, so the probably fixed it and now the adapter is working), on the device itself it says 12v/0.5a.
I also have my router(12v/1.5a) connected to the same battery and wire, and it's working great for several weeks)

Last edited:
Back