diy solar

diy solar

DC mini split

Professorbolin

Greetings:

First off I enjoy your videos and am a subscriber. I have a 20 Foot Shipping container just north of Houston Texas I would love to turn into a REMOTE Off grid Cabin powered 100% on wind and solar. Maybe as a prototype.

I see there are several mini split air conditioners for sale that run on 12, 24, 48 volt DC only. My goal is kinda simple. I don’t need a lot of AC power, but with a propane stove Refrigerator, propane hot water on demand, it pretty much can be 100% DC as lights and water pump, and all will be DC.

The Shipping container Cabin has 3 inches of closed cell spray foam insulation, my question is, how large of a system, (batteries) do I need to keep up with a DC only mini split air conditioning system? (8x20 cabin)

What is the hourly draw of the A/C unit and how many hours a day do you intend to use it? Without that information it is impossible to calculate your needs. Those other loads should be factored in too. Don't forget to factor in actual vs. rated solar panel output, average number of peak sun hours (usually around 5), rainy days, etc. Ideally you want to be able to store 2 to 3 days worth of power. Cost may not make that possible. A backup generator is a good idea.

What is the hourly draw of the A/C unit and how many hours a day do you intend to use it? Without that information it is impossible to calculate your needs. Those other loads should be factored in too. Don't forget to factor in actual vs. rated solar panel output, average number of peak sun hours (usually around 5), rainy days, etc. Ideally you want to be able to store 2 to 3 days worth of power. Cost may not make that possible. A backup generator is a good idea.
I have not purchased anything yet. Need suggestions

Prof I have a couple ideas for you.

As a Nova Scotian I have moved all my properties from heating oil to mini split heat and cooling. All grid powered. Eventually I will move all of our buildings to solar mini splits with grid backup or supplement.
The heat from a Heat pump Mini Split can go down to -30C and provide cooling in the summer. They also getting more efficient.

Before we couldn't really use solar for them because of the power use.
Now that they can supply solar hybrids it is absolutely imho the way to go.
It's still a little bleeding edge but this tech will only better.

I have several 9000 BTU minis that use 800 watts full tilt? That is grid tied.

Hotspot Energy (Google them) have both fully off grid and Hybrid Mini splits for sale.

Engineer 775 has a youtube showing the offgrid one he installed for a customer. Now he didn't install the gas lines liek I would but the principal is sound.

The dude is a major geek. Subscribe to his channel. He is one hard core prepping engineer.

I am talking to hotspot about a great new chummy they are selling.

Some background - I had followed a small company called Cybo Energy. This guy makes extremely cool solar powered control boxes for all kinds of applications. They have won alot of engineering and new product awards.

They have developed a new control chummy to allow full solar powered mini splits with 220v grid backup and failover.
Lots of the chinese are selling full mini split solutions but many of us already have existing solar. I am considering trying one of these Cybo chummies to convert one of my grid minis to solar with 220v backup.

If they work, for an offgrid build a 220v would only supplement the solar as apposed to providing full power. Thus less battery drain. These apparently only supplement in daylight then go full AC at night.

Theoretically one could install a MPPsolar 48v with 220v output as the backup to these cybo chummies.

There is potential here.

Hot spot Energy is now a distributor for Cybo's products or some of them anyway.

It may not work for you, but solar mini splits are absolutely the future.

good luck

Hotspot energy is his reseller

They even have solar hot water

Last edited:
Back