diy solar

diy solar

Deye inverter with RS485 CT clamp?

dddem

Has anyone managed to get their Deye inverter to accept data from one of the RS485 CT clamps available on the market?

The compatible inline smart meters are not a good option for me due to wire size and also because a non-invasive solution is much preferable.

Analog CT clamps are not an option due to 70m distance from the inverter.

Last edited:
Oh well moot question since I have just realized that the compatible smart meters (Chint and Eastron) can work with a CT coil instead of being inline.

Now next question: my Deye inverter is a SG01 version, which has a "meter con" port on the board. However when in "zero export to CT" work mode, I go to the settings to enable "Ex meter for CT", it lets me enable it but it does not let me select the type of meter. The field remains stubbornly greyed out. I also tried to set it via the Solarman app and it just does not change. What could be the problem?

IMG-20230509-WA0002.jpeg
20230509_175742.jpg
20230509_175446.jpg

You need the actual meter connected before accessing the menu item.
That means already connected BEFORE turning the Deye on.

You need the actual meter connected before accessing the menu item.
That means already connected BEFORE turning the Deye on.
Is this from your own firsthand experience? Because Deye support was trying to talk me into purchasing a Chint-3P meter as being the only compatible one with my hardware... But they're expensive compared to the single phase ones...

Is this from your own firsthand experience? Because Deye support was trying to talk me into purchasing a Chint-3P meter as being the only compatible one with my hardware... But they're expensive compared to the single phase ones...
my personal experience with an eastron is that the meter has to be connected ( and showing traffic) first

Can the Eastron SDM230 work with a CT coil instead of being inline?

Meter OR CT, not necessary with both.
I mean for example the Chint smart meter has a version that takes input from a CT coil instead of having to be mounted inline to measure current.

Can the Eastron SDM230 do that?

I would go for Chint but the Chint store on Ali Express insists that its meters are not compatible with Deye (contrary to what Deye support claims)

I see that Eastron also has the below model, but unsure if it would be compatible with the Deye

edit: I got a reply from Eastron Europe support that the SDM120CT output is identical to the output of the SDM230. Therefore it should work with my Deye. I will order one and try it.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I'm trying to set up my solar system (in Germany). There seems to be no one able to help me with my problem :-( So I thougt to try it at over there:
My system is the following:
I have a Deye inverter SUN-10K-SG04L P3-EU
with a Chint DTSU666 Smartmeter.
Somehow the system doesn't work. When I turn on my cooker or any other machine, there is no change on the display of the inverter. I always just have about 0.05kW of consumption : You can see that in a video attached in the zip folder. If you don't trust the zip file have a look at the photo
Does anyone here has an idea what I need to do to get my system working?
The manual says I have to select Zero Export to CT. If I do so I get the prompt: Please check the meter Port A and B and connect.
When I choose Zero Export to Load there is no such message. But my system doesn't work properly as described above.

It might also have to to with the setting of the Smartmeter: I have no clue which parameters I have to select when I connect Chint with Deye Sun 10k
Thank you so much for your help in advance.
Holger

Attachments

• VID_20230909_103055.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230903_184326.jpg
    IMG_20230903_184326.jpg
    828.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hi guys,
I'm trying to set up my solar system (in Germany). There seems to be no one able to help me with my problem :-( So I thougt to try it at over there:
My system is the following:
I have a Deye inverter SUN-10K-SG04L P3-EU
with a Chint DTSU666 Smartmeter.
Somehow the system doesn't work. When I turn on my cooker or any other machine, there is no change on the display of the inverter. I always just have about 0.05kW of consumption : You can see that in a video attached in the zip folder. If you don't trust the zip file have a look at the photo
Does anyone here has an idea what I need to do to get my system working?
The manual says I have to select Zero Export to CT. If I do so I get the prompt: Please check the meter Port A and B and connect.
When I choose Zero Export to Load there is no such message. But my system doesn't work properly as described above.

It might also have to to with the setting of the Smartmeter: I have no clue which parameters I have to select when I connect Chint with Deye Sun 10k
Thank you so much for your help in advance.
Holger
Under advanced you'll "external ct meter"
Enable that and select the correct meter type ( in my case the is eastron, yours will be cint)

Then make sure you are using the correct pairs ( in my case orange-white) and the utp is plugged in the meter utp port on the inverter

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-09-09-15-37-39-58_53d78d31f5fddc7fa0cdf74ca6b9290c.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-09-09-15-37-39-58_53d78d31f5fddc7fa0cdf74ca6b9290c.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 9
Under advanced you'll "external ct meter"
Enable that and select the correct meter type ( in my case the is eastron, yours will be cint)

Then make sure you are using the correct pairs ( in my case orange-white) and the utp is plugged in the meter utp port on the inverter
Hi,
thank you for your suggestion. I already tried this but somehow it doesn't work. I wonder whether I have to st certain parameters on the chint. What address, protocoll, nEt etc do I have to choose?

Hi,
thank you for your suggestion. I already tried this but somehow it doesn't work. I wonder whether I have to st certain parameters on the chint. What address, protocoll, nEt etc do I have to choose?
On my eastron everything was left default.
Make sure you have the wires installed correctly, some require a cross on the orange-white and orange

Note that the Meters are sold in generic and also versions specific to the brand of inverter. A generic version has RS485 registers different from the branded versions, the generic version will not work with the branded inverter. So a Chint meter must have the Deye firmware so its uses the same RS485 registers the Deye inverter uses. The Branded meters are typically higher priced than the generic one.

This is one guys solution when he could only get a generic meter for his inverter.

I know support have told you differently but why would Straga have to go to all this trouble to get his meter to connect.

Note that the Meters are sold in generic and also versions specific to the brand of inverter. A generic version has RS485 registers different from the branded versions, the generic version will not work with the branded inverter. So a Chint meter must have the Deye firmware so its uses the same RS485 registers the Deye inverter uses. The Branded meters are typically higher priced than the generic one.

This is one guys solution when he could only get a generic meter for his inverter.

I know support have told you differently but why would Straga have to go to all this trouble to get his meter to connect.
Hmm , have a non branded eastron, which seems to work fine with solar, Deye, sunsynk and just about any inverter, with the exception of some notorious vendor locked in brands.

If this is indeed true about cint ( hard to imagine)
Buy a 78 euro eastron (modbus V2 version), available at just about any electrical equipment distri

Well, that's interesting. I got my Chint with a Growatt inverter 6 months ago. Because the Growatt wasn't useful for my household, my electrician made a good offer to exchange it with the Deye inverter. The Chint was in a bundle with the Growatt, so it might be branded. I don't know how to find it out. If there is a way how I can use it, I would be happy, otherwise I connect the CTs I got with the inverter. I just would like to make it run and understand the problem. And actually I'm a bit frustrated that neither Chint nor Deye can offer any useful help.
CU
Holger

Well, that's interesting. I got my Chint with a Growatt inverter 6 months ago. Because the Growatt wasn't useful for my household, my electrician made a good offer to exchange it with the Deye inverter. The Chint was in a bundle with the Growatt, so it might be branded. I don't know how to find it out. If there is a way how I can use it, I would be happy, otherwise I connect the CTs I got with the inverter. I just would like to make it run and understand the problem. And actually I'm a bit frustrated that neither Chint nor Deye can offer any useful help.
CU
Holger
A din rail meter like you chint or my eastron is very much more accurate, and depending on your power-co can even be used to verify the power-co's meter.

Wish you'd mention that it came with a growatt, as growatt is trying to vendor lock you in..
Instead of the CT's shill out 80 euro, use your current cabling and precision

Also not sure where you are located, but most EU code prohibits the use of CT's hanging loose on you grid-in powerfeeds ( which is the location the should be)

is it possible to change the firmware somehow?

Thank you so far. You wrote that some smartmeters are branded. How do I recognise that it is a branded version? It just says Chint DTSU 666.. No further indication.

Thank you so far. You wrote that some smartmeters are branded. How do I recognise that it is a branded version? It just says Chint DTSU 666.. No further indication.
No sure you can (from the outside)..
Buy a generic one and you are sure

Back