diy solar

diy solar

Diesel Heater additive for cold weather?

wntrhwk

Anyone using additives for cold weather for their diesel heaters? I read that diesel starts to gel around 10 degrees F and can cuase a lot of issues.

Anyone using additives for cold weather for their diesel heaters? I read that diesel starts to gel around 10 degrees F and can cuase a lot of issues.
Adding kerosene will help. The amount of benefit is fuel-dependent, but you might expect a 3-4 degree drop in gelling temperature for every 10 percent kerosene blended.

Another alternative is to just run kerosene if its going to get super cold.

Diesel definitely can gel at low temps. BioDiesel is even worse, it starts to gel at even higher temps. You may be able to use #1 diesel which is lighter and has a lower gel point. (as long as the heater instruction manual doesn't say not to use #1)

Cold Flow additives are an option also. I use Amsoil in my Dodge if I'm in cold weather. From what I've read the additive only works if its introduced prior to the fuel starting to gel. Once the diesel gets to cold, the additive will not reverse the process.

Kerosene, what a great idea. I assume it's way more expensive than diesel, but if you only are using in super cold temps what the the heck. I imagine it's cleaner than diesel (used in jets) so probably less carbon/soot?

In UK kerosene with low sulphur is heating oil and priced much same as diesel if you ignore the taxes on road fuels.

Last edited:
Kerosene burns much cleaner than diesel so yes less soot buildup running it and as mentioned its popular in the uk as a fuel source for the heaters.

Kerosene, what a great idea. I assume it's way more expensive than diesel, but if you only are using in super cold temps what the the heck. I imagine it's cleaner than diesel (used in jets) so probably less carbon/soot?
If you can find somewhere to by it from the pump it's not too unreasonable, especially if you're using mixing it with diesel. A hardware store near mewas selling kerosene at ~$8 while diesel in the area was around $5.

If you buy it at Home Depot it's like $30 for 2.5 gallons.

I've heard about people buying it from airfields and marinas in addition to hardware stores and gas stations.

Not all diesel fuel is the same. Around here we call it "summer blend" and "winter blend". I am sure there is a more technical term for it but I don't know it. We use the summer blend from the end of April until October. The winter blend is much more resistant to gelling in cold temperatures. The winter blend diesel that I buy from our local distributor I have used to -40F without any problems without adding anything. Never had any gelling problems in any of my equipment. I talked to the owner of our local distributor about this once and he told me all winter blends are not the same. They have different temperatures at which they start to gel depending upon how they are blended.

All automotive fuels are "blended" for the locale and season. For diesel, it is basically mixing in enough #1 Diesel (aka kerosene, more or less) and other additives with the #2 diesel to reach the low temps you are aiming for (and some other parameters too). And it is not the same in different locations, truckers that fill their rigs in coastal TX and then try to go over the passes in the high Rockies in winter with that fuel find that out pretty fast.

If you can find it (I can't anymore) de-waxed kerosene or diesel #1 is what you'd like to get for low temps. You don't need to run that 100% (unless you are up above the arctic circle), so look up percentages for your expected min temps.

BTW, gasolines are also blended for climate changes. Among other things, they try to keep them evaporating at the right rate at lower winter temps, as well as emissions considerations. Mismatches are not as critical with gasoline but it still makes some difference.

I think most people mix about 10% kerosene in the diesel heaters from what I have read. It's my understanding that pure kerosene will wear the little pump out sooner from lack of lubrication. When I hauled and delivered fuel in the 80's we were permitted by the company engineers to mix up to 25% kerosene into the diesel that we delivered to strip mines in Ohio to keep there dozers and draglines from jelling in the very cold part of winter. I believe I'm showing my age a bit!?

we've used one of these for years when we were in our static caravan in France - one benefit is that can be used safely indoors. they are quite popular in France and the fuel is readily available and is sold in most large supermarkets, the heaters we have brought back to the UK seem to 'clog' up with paraffin bought in the UK, either premium or loose, after a couple of years, so they have to be stripped down and cleaned.

Last edited:
Common anti gel additive sold at truck stops works great in diesel heaters. It only takes a very small amount, 1 oz per 5 gallons. In a pinch I've added gasoline to the diesel which also works. Where I live winter diesel blend is sold starting November 1st, and with that I haven't had a gelling problem down to -15°F.

Where are you storing this diesel? Outside?

buy diesel from the pump after Nov and you’ll be fine, if you see a cold snap cooking you can does with Power Service white bottle for cheap insurance.

If you have 4 gallons left over from summer you’ll run into issues.

I use Power Service in my diesel tractor,good to -30 degrees.I use .32 ounce per gallon.
A 32 oz bottle goes a long way, its inexpensive and available just about everywhere.

jet A (from airports) is mostly Kerosene with a freezing point of -40C. If its a small airport you can often buy from a self serve pump. Price is ~$6/gal

another thing to keep in mind home heating oil is pretty much diesel, but isn’t blended for the cold temps, so if use that you may run into issue as temps dip close to 0F

Back