diy solar

diy solar

DIY Issue: 100' run Double Cables Now Volts Dropped - Suggestions?

Davetv1423

Here is 1st video showing the entire system - (most of it).
2nd vid will cover full daylight testing -

I started watching that clip... and then stopped.

What's the specs for your panels (label on the back) and how do you have them arranged, series, parallel, series+parallel etc
What is your battery nominal voltage?
What voltage do you see on the PV input terminals on your charge controller (check with a multimeter)?

updated - voltage is good - amps/watts are low - see pics

System is:
-4 6volt 235/ah batteries (series-parallel)
-4 panels (2 are can solar / 2 are trin) both are close to 250 watts and 32 volts with 8.9amps optimal (they are used)
-90' of 12-2 Outdoor wire / 1st i ran 1 string and got great volts but very poor amp/watts
then ran another sting and am getting higher volts are about 64= But....
Middle of the day in FL in August and i'm only seeing .07Amps and 4.71 watts shown on Epever 40 am charge controller -
I do read that this measurement is from "whats being used" not - "whats being generated from panels".... hope this is the issue....but then i just wasted another $56 on 100' of 12-2 wire... grrr....

Solar Output Mid Day in Fl - Aug 2020.jpg

Attachments

• Mid Aug Solar Reading 2020.jpg
    Mid Aug Solar Reading 2020.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 7
If your battery is charged or near charged and you have no other loads on the system you won't see much 'solar power'. What is your battery voltage when you are seeing low power from the array and do you have any loads actively drawing power at that time?

Still need to see how your panels are actually arranged and their specs.

*edit*
Just noticed the 2nd image, battery at float. Battery is fully charged, probably no other loads present. This alone would explain low 'solar power' figure.

Last edited:
Float means your battery is full.

Discharge your battery and try again. You will not get ANY current from the solar system with full batteries.

If you want to really know what the panels are putting out at any particular moment, you need to apply a load that's higher than the total that the panels can put out.

So, if you have four 250W panels, put a >1000W load on the system. A toaster oven would easily exceed that. Turn on the oven, then walk over to the controller and check the output.

Back