diy solar

diy solar

Does anyone know of a ChatGPT/LLM integration with forums?

What if you already read those pages and don’t want to sift through the chaff again?

I read and write a ton of stuff across different forums and I don’t have the workflow to summarize it for myself/have ready to go copy pasta for different questions.

I’m fully capable of doing my own research into a subject from a traditional literature search (I did this for years as an engineering graduate researcher and for engineering day job), I want to be able to do it faster and more effectively

FWIW, there is a disconnect here between the general sentiment on this thread and the hope across many industries around using LLMs to increase productivity.

Would you rather read 50 pages which includes 20 pages of sniping and 5 pages of clueless people to find the nuggets, or have a computer with infinite patience help you out?
If you rely on copy/paste to answer questions, you may not fully understand the subject yourself.

Y’all are misunderstanding. Auto summary is something a lot of people use at work nowadays for work documentation etc. It is encouraged in a lot of places.

Would you rather manually go through 50 pages of a thread to find Tim’s wisdom, manually write it down as it comes, or have a program do it?

Also, I bet if I didn’t use the shamed name of the technology and called it an auto-summarizer you would have a more neutral reaction.

Absolutely yes.

Whenever I have to spend time going through content to find something specific, I almost always encounter other bits of information I did not know. Many times that info turned out to be more worthwhile than what I was actually looking for.

AI is nothing but clever coding anyway. The use of the term itself has exploded only because Marketing got ahold of it and it is now "trendy" to apply it to everything.

I think the true desire is just a better search / index. Like google,bing, and those that came before it, the more information you have the harder it is to sift thru the cruft to find what you want or need. I've done a few searches here, this forum's search suffers the same issues as the rest. You have unstructured, untagged data and you are trying to make sense of it.

Absolutely yes.

Whenever I have to spend time going through content to find something specific, I almost always encounter other bits of information I did not know. Many times that info turned out to be more worthwhile than what I was actually looking for.
What if you went through it already one time, or a very similar thread?

Now that I’ve read the same thread many times, I don’t need to go through it again.

If you don’t know a subject it’s worth slogging through more.

Now that I know about 5 different kinds of Hybrid inverters, I don’t need to meticulously read a 50 page long thread on the sixth one.

There’s some great info on the MidNite 10K and 18kpv threads. Fun to follow along in real time. I’m not going back in and re reading those

I think the true desire is just a better search / index. Like google,bing, and those that came before it, the more information you have the harder it is to sift thru the cruft to find what you want or need. I've done a few searches here, this forum's search suffers the same issues as the rest. You have unstructured, untagged data and you are trying to make sense of it.
Google does a good job of indexing this site and the "similar threads" below the current thread you are on is very useful too.

Despite my previous comment on LLM's, don't get me wrong - AI will change the way many things are done. it's likely to have a significant negative impact on UK and US elections through the spread of disinformation. It'll reduce many jobs that are simplistic and repetitious in the knowledge economy - it can summarise meetings fine, for e.g. It'll reduce the need for low level advertising, marketing and sales teams. It'll speed up healthcare diagnoses and help address pollution, ecological impacts, and identify problems and issues in may domains much earlier and more effectively. Anything with lots of data, it'll do well. Anything that tis individual, human, quirky and unusual - not so much. Don't be in ahurry to dismiss it - it's likely to be a bigger impact than the internet, imho.

We will know that an AI is truly deserving of the I part of that acronym when it starts refusing the sh!t jobs we organic I's are forcing on it.

So, to summarize, using AI is kind of like asking Google maps for directions: it works best if you kinda already know the answer and you reserve the right to override the "hallucinations".

Back