diy solar

diy solar

Does everyone else imagine panels on perfect roofs?

How about looking at some people's choices of where their panels are and wonder what the heck they were thinking? Someone 10 min from me has his panels on his north facing roof. I'm sure it performs marvelously.
:fp
Yeah. I drive by a ground mount array of I think 24 panels a lot. Half the time there’s a van or box truck parked right in front of it casting a shadow over the bottom row
It makes me want to hook a winch up to the bumper and help them from themselves

I dream about having a roof like that BUT is it the perfect pitch!!
Always some drawback somewhere and what about trees and other buildings......

I dream about having a roof like that BUT is it the perfect pitch!!
Always some drawback somewhere and what about trees and other buildings......
The problem for him would be snow - they get lots in the winter, and that compound slope might catch a lot of there were panels there with any sizable gap for the snow to catch on. If they were butted up to each other well, maaaaaaybe it would slide off - even betterer than now?

I would like the majority on a perfect roof facing South but my orientation of SSE fits my needs well. I begin charging my batteries earliet than if it were true South facing.
But a south facing array would hold off battery need until later in the day so you would have more charge in the morning.

You aren't needing less battery with you go SSE versus S, you will actually need a bit more overall.

The key is to line up the array with the demand. My parent's house uses most power between 11 am and 4 pm, so they will benefit by being slightly SSW, which they are, since the panels will make more power when they use more power.

Mike C.

But a south facing array would hold off battery need until later in the day so you would have more charge in the morning.
I don't start using my battery until 7PM anyway.
You aren't needing less battery with you go SSE versus S, you will actually need a bit more overall.
My comment was not about how much battery capacity I needed. It was about how to take advantage of the SSE orientation which I was stuck with.
The key is to line up the array with the demand. ......
No disagreement fundamentally with that statement. My battery capacity more than covers my demand and I have enough reserve in the morning so if the power goes out on a cloudy day I still have capacity for that. My point about West facing panels was to pick up more revenue when rates were highest. I have two EVs and an EVSE which can modulate charging rate based on excess solar so my demand is flexible.

Last edited:
I'm weird I guess. Living in the Seattle area it's more "Never pay for itself", "Never gonna break even" and "Wow, that was a waste!"

My dad's 4kw GT system will have its warranty expire about 8-12 years before it breaks even on what he paid for it at the perfect time.

That's the other half of what I see, while driving around.
If I see panels on the roof and a grid-tied inverter beside the meter.
I just say "another sucker".
Lease companies are screwing people all of the time.

Yeah. I drive by a ground mount array of I think 24 panels a lot. Half the time there’s a van or box truck parked right in front of it casting a shadow over the bottom row
It makes me want to hook a winch up to the bumper and help them from themselves
Helping people from themselves is the sometimes the hardest work to do, they usually don't have enough knowledge to see that they were helped in the first place!
Not until they see the less money going out of there pockets do some realize the benefit. I had a customer complain about there solar output once, went on a service call to figure it out. Moved thier 28' long cargo trailer out from in front of thier ground mount panels and the problem was sovled. I have learned that the "Lack of knowledge" is the strong suit of some.

The problem for him would be snow - they get lots in the winter, and that compound slope might catch a lot of there were panels there with any sizable gap for the snow to catch on. If they were butted up to each other well, maaaaaaybe it would slide off - even betterer than now?
In Bend, Oregon region: The small gap created when using manufactured panel mount systems allows the snow to slide off when the panel angle is at 45 degrees or morre. Live in the area and I recommend at least a 35 degree angle for ground mounts, snow removal with a long handle broom at this angle is easily done.

My friend’s nearly new, almost totally south facing, completely non-solar paneled roof in Sisters, OR. I just want to get a ladder and start plunking down panels!!!
View attachment 210179

He'll be pissed that you're punching a bunch of holes in his comp roof.

Speaking of which, how many of you have experienced roof leaks as a result of a solar installation?

I personally think concealed fastener metal roofs with clamps holding the solar panel mounting hardware to the ridge (like you would secure snow fencing) are best.

I can't imagine punching a bunch of holes in a comp roof.

What started out as a humorous post ("Vast empty roof, no!") actually got me thinking with all the comments about roof leaks, etc. Neat!

Also makes me glad I punched holes in my garage roof where I'm feeling ambivalent about leaks.

Back