diy solar

diy solar

Does everyone else imagine panels on perfect roofs?

I would like the majority on a perfect roof facing South but my orientation of SSE fits my needs well. I begin charging my batteries earliet than if it were true South facing. I also added panels West facing and that allows me to capture solar production when rates are higher after 4 PM. Since my batteries are charged by then, they support my loads during that time so all my solar after 4PM in Spring and Summer gets credited at higher rates

How about looking at some people's choices of where their panels are and wonder what the heck they were thinking? Someone 10 min from me has his panels on his north facing roof. I'm sure it performs marvelously.
:fp

I just see a vast expanse of likely imperfection free multilayer roofing system, and it makes me wince to think about penetrating it. It's too late to properly incorporate penetrations into the multilayer system now, without likely creating imperfections.

The lack of exposed bottom flashing on that vent jack is suspicious though. Likely an imperfection there unless it lined up super lucky.

I just see a vast expanse of likely imperfection free multilayer roofing system, and it makes me wince to think about penetrating it. It's too late to properly incorporate penetrations into the multilayer system now, without likely creating imperfections.
Yup. I would not do a roof mount unless it was absolutely necessary.
All that money for a new roof just to have it leak maybe.
Plus the added cost of RSD.
The PITA trying to troubleshoot.
Keeping the squirrels, birds,etc from building homes.
Possibly fire issues.
I just couldn’t do it..

Yup. I would not do a roof mount unless it was absolutely necessary.
All that money for a new roof just to have it leak maybe.
Plus the added cost of RSD.
The PITA trying to troubleshoot.
Keeping the squirrels, birds,etc from building homes.
Possibly fire issues.
I just couldn’t do it..
Yup. Standing seam with penetration free clamps, maybe. But even then, I don't want to be trying to walk around and work on standing seam either.

I guess it is just personal preference.
The roof was my first choice. I see it as a no brainer.
Free space that isn't in the way of anything.
Unless you look up, my house/property doesn't look any different than before.
I'm also adding ground mounts. But there was no way I was going to pass up Free space.

How about looking at some people's choices of where their panels are and wonder what the heck they were thinking? Someone 10 min from me has his panels on his north facing roof. I'm sure it performs marvelously.
:fp
North facing orientations happens a bit in my neighborhood with larger installs after all the south, east and west areas are filled up. Small lots, perhaps 10k sq feet with no way to ground mount, gabled roofs, with not a lot of room for panels with a south facing orientation.

Not as horrible idea as I first thought for AZ. We don't need the extra electricity in the winter so almost no production is fine then, and to cover two ACs in the summer, need around 7 kW of actual power to cover that before batteries are charged. Mini splits with a total of 14 heads is not that practical either, so central AC rules.

North facing orientations happens a bit in my neighborhood with larger installs after all the south, east and west areas are filled up. Small lots, perhaps 10k sq feet with no way to ground mount, gabled roofs, with not a lot of room for panels with a south facing orientation.

Not as horrible idea as I first thought for AZ. We don't need the extra electricity in the winter so almost no production is fine then, and to cover two ACs in the summer, need around 7 kW of actual power to cover that before batteries are charged. Mini splits with a total of 14 heads is not that practical either, so central AC rules.
Except he has no other solar.

My friend’s nearly new, almost totally south facing, completely non-solar paneled roof in Sisters, OR. I just want to get a ladder and start plunking down panels!!!
View attachment 210179
I think I annoy my wife everytime we drive to town
I inadvertently see another barn, home, or shed with a single slope or a massive south facing roof and i typically audibly say “man that’s a perfect spot for some panels, I wonder if they’ve considered it”

Back