diy solar

diy solar

Ebike lithium battery with separate charge/discharge cords

Taner

I have this 48V ebike lithium battery with separate charge/discharge cords. How would I connect to the charge controller and inverter?
I would imagine the charge cables should connect to the controller while discharge cable to the inverter; but most battery setup I've seen does not have this, I'm worried it will not work.

1714757278364.png

I have this 48V ebike lithium battery with separate charge/discharge cords. How would I connect to the charge controller and inverter?

You don't.

ebike and scooter batteries are the #1 cause of household lithium fires, usually because of cheap BMSs and cells.

IMHO, the only way you use this is to install your own BMS that you know you can trust and rewire it as a normal battery.

You also need to ensure the cells are only subjected to that which they are rated.

I agree with eggo, don't.

One is likely paralell for charging

One is series for powering controller/motor

If you test and figure out that that is the case and still want to charge it;

Figure out how many amps/volts it is supposed to be charged at
fuse it properly
fill a large tote full of sand,
put it 100' from anything,
put battery in 2 Ziploc bags and bury in sand
Hook it up and see what happens.

NEVER TRUST IT.

The charger that it comes with it is likely the best way. Be careful.

these are the specs
  • Model: 18650-13S2P
  • Nominal voltage: 48V
  • Typical capacity: 100Ah
  • Rated power: 1000W
  • BMS function:Overcharge, overdischarge, overcurrent, short circuit protection.
  • Connector: T plug for discharge and DC5521 for charge
  • Package: heat shrinkable PVC, random color
  • Charge method: CC-CV
  • Max. Charge current: 5A
  • Charge temperature: 0-45 ° C
  • Discharge temperature: -10-60 ℃

these are the specs
  • BMS function:Overcharge, overdischarge, overcurrent, short circuit protection.
I think you mean 10ah. Otherwise sign me up for 100! Haha.

Diregard what I said about series and parallel above, it does not look to be the case given the specs?

I am not understanding what you mean by inverter? You just need to know what voltage to charge it at and limit current to < 5A. I would use a Victron 100/20 Smartsolar because they are well made, affordable and most importantly they can be set via bluetooth to limit to less than 5A.

You would need a solar array with 54v or more and a male 5.5mm(od)x2.1mm(id) DC barrel connector. Attach the 5521dc connector to battery terminal of the Victron, solar panels to PV in on Victron. Set the parameters in the Victron to proper voltage and make sure to set current limit to LESS than 5A. Victron will charge CC-CV just like what the wall charger does. That is it.

I would charge the pack with the wall charger, and measure the voltage when it is full to be sure before setting up the charge controller.

I stand by what I said about keeping the battery outside and away from everything. It should work fine, but it is still dangerous.

it says 100Ah both on the picture and specs. It's pretty large capacity.
I have a grid-tie inverter which can take battery or PV input. I have not bought a charge controller yet. That I would use it to charge the battery and battery to supply current to the grid-tie inverter.

it says 100Ah both on the picture and specs. It's pretty large capacity.

It's lying.

I have a grid-tie inverter which can take battery or PV input. I have not bought a charge controller yet. That I would use it to charge the battery and battery to supply current to the grid-tie inverter.

You are sprinting towards a spike aimed at your skull. Please stop trying to commit suicide.

these are the specs

A little creative advertising there. 100ah indeed... lies lies lies... if you buy it I forsee smoke and melted wires and possibly a fire in your future

If it's something like this, 10000% certain you've been ripped off and have something on the order of 10Ah.

Aliexpress is where to go to get ripped off.
So they are claiming that is a 48V 100Ah battery that weighs 1.8kg (4pounds)? That would be amazing considering a single EVE 3.2V 105Ah cell weighs more than that at 1.98kg (4.365 pounds)!
At best something is only about 6% of what they are claiming.

I am not able to understand their "full capacity" logic either. My best guess so far is that it is at 3.7V not 48V. Each 18650 cell is ~3Ah capacity and total of 39 cells, that makes about 100Ah. Yes, it is just wrong and misleading.

Back