diy solar

diy solar

EG-4 6000XP: AC Load wires L1 & L2 Orientation

rtasker

Hi There, I’m setting up my first solar system and trying to avoid any newcomers mistakes. I’m installing a 6000XP with a Pro/tran 10 Transfer Switch. I plan on hardwiring my AC load output from the 6000XP to the Protran inlet box. According to the Protran manual it looks like ether L1 or L2 can be hooked to the black or white wire, so the orientation doesn’t matter. In the 6000XP manual it shows Black to L1 & Red to L2.
My question is with the AC load wires can I install these backwards and cause some real damage to my equipment?
I’m wondering when the 6000XP switches to AC pass-through is it important the AC load wires have the correct phase lined up to the two pieces of equipment?
Maybe L1 & L2 in the manuals are shown that way for conventional reasons just to help keep track of things.
Please let me know what direction you think is best.
Protran Manual:IMG_1190.jpeg

6000XP Manual:IMG_1191.jpeg

. According to the Protran manual it looks like ether L1 or L2 can be hooked to the black or white wire, so the orientation doesn’t matter.
Black/Red doesn't matter. They are L1 and L2, and it doesn't matter which is which.
WHITE IS DIFFERENT.
L1 (black) - L2 (red) is 240v
L1 (black) - White is 120v.
L2 (red) - White is 120v.
White - Ground is 0v.

The 6000xp has a separate white wire connection.

Hi There, I’m setting up my first solar system and trying to avoid any newcomers mistakes. I’m installing a 6000XP with a Pro/tran 10 Transfer Switch. I plan on hardwiring my AC load output from the 6000XP to the Protran inlet box. According to the Protran manual it looks like ether L1 or L2 can be hooked to the black or white wire, so the orientation doesn’t matter. In the 6000XP manual it shows Black to L1 & Red to L2.
My question is with the AC load wires can I install these backwards and cause some real damage to my equipment?
I’m wondering when the 6000XP switches to AC pass-through is it important the AC load wires have the correct phase lined up to the two pieces of equipment?
Maybe L1 & L2 in the manuals are shown that way for conventional reasons just to help keep track of things.
Please let me know what direction you think is best.
Protran Manual:View attachment 195954

6000XP Manual:View attachment 195952
While the color-coding convention (black for L1 and red for L2) is typical in electrical wiring, it's not inherently critical for the operation of your equipment in Off-Grid applications. What matters most is maintaining consistency and ensuring proper connections and phasing throughout your system. However, according to the National Electrical Code (NEC), red is used as the phase conductor for L2 and black is used for L1.

Thanks for the response, so it’s not critical for the operation of off grid applications on the 6000xp, but what about when the inverter goes into AC bypass mode? My understanding is the two line voltage L1 and L2 feed from the main panel into the 6000xp and then straight out put to my Protean 10 transfer switch. Maybe since these 10 load circuits are switched to Generator input they are isolated in TS and L1 and L2 being mistakenly swapped won’t be a problem.
Not sure if my thinking is correct, but I do appreciate the help.

Back