diy solar

diy solar

eg4 18k with generator

GBS

I'm waiting on the delivery of an EG4 18k with 2 PowerPro WallMount batteries. I want to use my Champion Generator for cloudy days. Signature Solar is recommending that instead of using the 18K generator connection that I parallel the PowerPro batteries using a Lynx Distributer and their chargeverter.

What's the advantage of this? Why shouldn't I use the GEN connection in the 18K?

Also, if I use the Lynx what size fuse, if any, is needed?

Suggested diagram attached.

Thanks.

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    379.9 KB · Views: 38
It depends on the size of your generator, if you use the gen input your generator has to be big enough to power both the house loads, and charge the battery as well. With the chargeverter you can use a smaller generator without worrying about overloading the generator.

I'm waiting on the delivery of an EG4 18k with 2 PowerPro WallMount batteries. I want to use my Champion Generator for cloudy days. Signature Solar is recommending that instead of using the 18K generator connection that I parallel the PowerPro batteries using a Lynx Distributer and their chargeverter.

What's the advantage of this? Why shouldn't I use the GEN connection in the 18K?

Also, if I use the Lynx what size fuse, if any, is needed?

Suggested diagram attached.

Thanks.
What size is your generator?

Same kind of problem. The inverters for some reason want to have the generator fully take over the load. Chargeverter is simpler. 8k will probably not handle all of your loads.

Same kind of problem. The inverters for some reason want to have the generator fully take over the load. Chargeverter is simpler. 8k will probably not handle all of your loads.
If the generator can't supply the full load there's no power left over from the generator to charge the batteries.

8k actually handles everything we need, especially in the winter as we heat with wood\propane. I just wanted to confirm that the preferred method of connect6ing my smallish generator was paralleling with the batteries and not using the gen port on the 18k.

8k actually handles everything we need, especially in the winter as we heat with wood\propane. I just wanted to confirm that the preferred method of connect6ing my smallish generator was paralleling with the batteries and not using the gen port on the 18k.
I have a very similar question-what say you solar wizards?

The main reason for not putting an 8k generator on an inverter is when a generator starts to output closer to the maximum output wattage, the total harmonic distortion increases and the output power become really dirty.

If you are just using the generator for charging, then it shouldn't be an issue. You can set that up pretty easy with the 18kpv.

The recommendation on the chargeverter came because of the fear of that increased harmonic distortion. A chargeverter is not necessary, but it's nice to have incase of emergency.

As reliable as the 18 KPV has became with updates, I can't see why no one has introduced a simple UPS function so thous of us being off grid can charge our batteries with grid power, saving the 400. plus chargeverter option. Heck, my old Growatt 6k LF inverter bought for 1200 bucks had this function.

The main reason for not putting an 8k generator on an inverter is when a generator starts to output closer to the maximum output wattage, the total harmonic distortion increases and the output power become really dirty.

If you are just using the generator for charging, then it shouldn't be an issue. You can set that up pretty easy with the 18kpv.

The recommendation on the chargeverter came because of the fear of that increased harmonic distortion. A chargeverter is not necessary, but it's nice to have incase of emergency.
How about using one at about 50% load thru the chargeverter on the gen terminals?

Not an expert on this, but I believe the chargeverter output DC and gen terminals expect AC.

Not an expert on this, but I believe the chargeverter output DC and gen terminals expect AC.
Ahh yes, that makes sense. Brain fart on my part trying to think this thru in my head.

Thanks for the gut check.

I have this question/problem posted without any replies yet-any thoughts? Thanks

Nooo. Dont do that. GBS is correct. The chargeverter uses DC power to charge the batteries and the inverters gen terminals are expecting to se AC voltage
Understood, thanks.
I have this question/problem posted without any replies yet-any thoughts? Thanks

Back