diy solar

diy solar

eg4 18kpv A/C Coupling and EV?

Chief 5

I just purchased an eg4 18kpv. In looking at the schematics I'm thinking my existing SolarEdge SE7600 EV inverter can be A/C coupled. The inverter has an EV connection and has the ability to draw power from the grid. Will this work on the eg4 18kpv A/C coupled or not?

Maybe. Could you provide a diagram of what you are thinking?

The 18Kpv uses the GEN port for AC coupling. My concern is that with the EV charger, that could become a load when the PV hooked to the charger can not fully power the EV charger. This would mean power would be flowing out of the Gen port on the 18Kpv and I don't know if the inverter will handle that.

My plan was to follow the eg4 schematic. That's back feeding is my concern also.

Attachments

• eg4 AC Coupling.jpg
    eg4 AC Coupling.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 37
It seems I could buy a new independent EV charger as a work around.

The other option would be to put all the existing panels on the eg4 18kpv by replacing the SolarEdge optimizers. With a new EV charger also.

The SolarEdge SE-7600H Inverter / EV charger can be A/C coupled with the EG4-18Kpv hybrid inverter.

The SolarEdge SE-7600H Inverter / EV charger can be A/C coupled with the EG4-18Kpv hybrid inverter.
Thanks, for the follow up. Wonder if the new SolarEdge bi-directional charger would work also? Be nice to have extra battery backup available.

Only issue I see if the grid is down and the battery is full, the EV charger will be disconnected until the battery discharges to the configured threshold to turn the AC coupled input back on. This may not be an issue of concern depending on your use case.

The A/C Coupling testing has gone well. The SolarEdge starts up normally every day. Getting alot more battery storage and very little import/export. This system was converted from two SUN GTL-1000 inverters.

The E/V charging works well, charged at 7kw rate with 2kw delivered from the batteries, no grid import.

Tested the 18k for several hours off grid, through a critical ProTran sub panel. More testing to do on that.

Maybe. Could you provide a diagram of what you are thinking?

The 18Kpv uses the GEN port for AC coupling. My concern is that with the EV charger, that could become a load when the PV hooked to the charger can not fully power the EV charger. This would mean power would be flowing out of the Gen port on the 18Kpv and I don't know if the inverter will handle that.
I've seen power flow on my 18K via the GEN port in both ways while Smart Load was disabled. Now it does nothing. Contacts refuse to close. Trying to get support to help - its slow moving.

Back