diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000XP Questions

k490

Solar Enthusiast
Will this inverter combine grid power and PV / Battery power to the loads, or does it act as a relay switch entire load over to grid power when it the load pulls more power than the solar can provide. Reading the directions it's not exactly clear talks about PV and grid charging batteries. The reason I ask is I would like to power a 4-ton AC unit which will have a soft start. I know there won't be enough PV power to do this, so it will need some grid power to assist.

50 amp passthrough. Can Passthrough and charge batteries at the same time. Don't know what happens to PV when Passthrough.

Typically Off grid AIO's can charge with both grid and PV when operating in AC bypass. However they do not parallel with grid and therefore no blending of inverter and grid power. It is one or the other and during inverter operation there is no grid charging. Hybrid styles do parallel and might allow inverter and grid to work together. I do not know if your model allows that. Chances are it does not unless the manual gives specifics as to how much inverter and grid can combine.

Last edited:
Odd though on the inverter that I bought haven't installed EG4-3000-EHV solar provides first if solar isn't enough utility energy will supply the loads at the same time. I sold the 3000 I want 240V looking at a replacement just assumed the 6000 would function the same. I'll call signature Solar I'm sure they can clear this up for me.

Attachments

• 2024-01-28 16_58_18-EG4-3000EHV-48-V2-Manual.pdf.jpg
    2024-01-28 16_58_18-EG4-3000EHV-48-V2-Manual.pdf.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I called sales was told it could blend the inverter output with AC power but didn't sound like it was exactly clear to me. The manual doesn't say that.

I asked about calling EG4 I got that number and called them they told me no the 6000xp will not blend the inverter output with AC grid power it's like a switch all or nothing. Oddly they did confirm the 3000-EHV could do what I wanted. I found it odd that what was considered lower quality inverter was more capable. EG4 did hint that might be a new inverter coming in the future could do what I want could not elaborate on it. I'm only speculating I would bet a 10kw hybrid inverter is in the works to compete with other 10kw inverters only my own speculation. Not sure what I want to do maybe I should have kept my 3000 just shipped it off to the person who bought it this morning.

Last edited:
I called sales was told it could blend the inverter output with AC power but didn't sound like it was exactly clear to me. The manual doesn't say that.

I asked about calling EG4 I got that number and called them they told me no the 6000xp will not blend the inverter output with AC grid power it's like a switch all or nothing. Oddly they did confirm the 3000-EHV could do what I wanted. I found it odd that what was considered lower quality inverter was more capable. EG4 did hint that might be a new inverter coming in the future could do what I want could not elaborate on it. I'm only speculating I would bet a 10kw hybrid inverter is in the works to compete with other 10kw inverters only my own speculation. Not sure what I want to do maybe I should have kept my 3000 just shipped it off to the person who bought it this morning.
That is disappointing for sure.... I have the 3000ehv, and was considering my upgrade to be to replace it with a 6000XP, but maybe I'm better off Just paralleling 2 3000ehv's

Manual shows blending PV and Grid to supply loads. It does NOT show a mode that blends grid and battery to supply load.
I have not seen the 3000ehv do that either.... If it needs the grid, It switches to Grid, Even On spikes, my will sometimes switch to Grid briefly, then return to battery

Aw man, was getting ready to order a 6000xp but it can't even do what an older MPP LV does in SUB charge mode by supplementing grid power when solar isn't enough to power the load.. :confused:

I ended up ordering a 6000 XP I will just use it on circuits that match the amount of solar, and battery I have.

Back