diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000XP - Ultimate Off-Grid Setup

HighCountry

Building the ultimate solar system for totally off-grid cabin using EG4 6000XP inverter. Building this setup the closest to NEC 2020 code as possible in case I later need to ask permission from the local authorities (pay homage). Since there will not be a large demand for power in general, we are not building a very large setup. The three main items: (1) 110v shallow well pump, (2) mini fridge, and (3) Starlink aka Musky. Other misc items: interior lights, exterior lights, and few outlets.

STAGE 1 - Adjustable Solar Mount
Building an adjustable solar mount (thanks - Rodney Hunt for the design). Will have (12) Hyundai 395W Bifacial Solar Panels wired in 2S6P.
Part 1 -
Part 2 -

I will have complete build plans for this setup too! Stay tuned for that...

STAGE 2 - Solar Shed
Building a 6x6 solar shed that will house the EG4 6000XP inverter & (3-6) EG4 LL-S batteries.

STAGE 3 - Wiring to Cabin
Running conduit from solar shed to the cabin

-----------------------

Here are the basic wiring plans... Lots of insight from folks on this forum (thanks) and will be posting this build and make updates as it happens...

Off Grid Solar System Wiring NEW.jpg

Last edited:
Over the winter I installed my 6000xp at my cabin, no PV yet. Runs almost all circuits in cabin: lights and outlets, well pump, mini split, etc. only thing I don’t have on it is the backup electric baseboards, dish washer, water heater, oven. Ground should start thawing soon so getting ready for PV.

If I started from the beginning, I wound probably redo it with an 18kPV simply to use any excess PV to zero out or reduce grid usage using the CTs in main panel. I would also move mini split back to main panel so battery doesn’t take a hit from it but still uses PV to power, if available.

Over the winter I installed my 6000xp at my cabin, no PV yet. Runs almost all circuits in cabin: lights and outlets, well pump, mini split, etc. only thing I don’t have on it is the backup electric baseboards, dish washer, water heater, oven. Ground should start thawing soon so getting ready for PV.

If I started from the beginning, I wound probably redo it with an 18kPV simply to use any excess PV to zero out or reduce grid usage using the CTs in main panel. I would also move mini split back to main panel so battery doesn’t take a hit from it but still uses PV to power, if available.
Yeah, looked into the 18k and after doing the math we will never need that much power - ever.

I do like how the 18k has a wiring diagram that's very detailed, which the 6000XP lacks!!! Maybe only thing I found to be very very very disappointing over the 18k. In fact, I am still scratching head over the DC/AC grounding of the 6000XP and EG4 wouldn't provide a basic wiring diagram for this unit - stupid as hell especially since the 18k has a very detailed wiring diagram so they can't play the liability card.

Back