diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500ex inverter dead shorted its battery terminals

Yep its great. Been running my whole Florida house this summer.
That's good to hear, as that's what I'd like to get for my house. I have 13kW of rooftop solar and two SE 6000H grid tie units that I installed in 2017. However, my POCO has a TOU rate that is 7.5 times more expensive during peak, so I could literally just charge a bank off-peak and discharge it on-peak and come out ahead, zero additional solar. But I'd want to connect my two GTIs to the Gen port of it, so it can accept AC coupled input.

Working with these 6500s, I've become more hesitant to make the jump.

I’ve been searching the forum to see if I can connect the running pair of two 6500ex in split phase while having the charge inverter charging the battery bank and I have a smart shunt I would like to see measure the current in rush so I suppose I would connect the Chargeverter to the system side of the Victron 500amp smartshunt. So the question is will the chargeverter backfeed into the running 6500 inverters or do I have to disconnect my battery bank via the battery disconnect
PS: I have no AC in connection to the inverters, I have three sets of four 12 volt LiFePO4 diy 200 amphr wired series with each set connected to vertical bus bars so 600 amp hr. The BMS can handle the charging easily

Last edited:
Unfortunately, this isn’t the first time that I’ve heard of a system running perfectly fine for months and then all of a sudden it shorts out.
I just had my second 6500EX48 do this very thing after 1.5 yrs of operation. I was not home the first time that it happened (2P2), SS tried to blame improper startup procedure on the first one but sent a replacement anyway. This one happened on Sunday afternoon about 2:45PM. SOC 100% for a couple hours. Almost no load on the system. 2P1 died. I went to the basement to find the main battery input breaker tripped as well as battery 11 and 12 in the daisy chain tripped. Since this was very similar to the first time, I went straight to the battery inputs and they were shorted - zero ohms. Most certainly did not happen during start up. Full disclosure - I am was running EMP shield protection on the PV in, and added them to the batteries and on the house breaker box after the the first failure. I sent the PV in shields back and had them tested. They came back fine. Waiting to see what SS does with this failure...

I just had my second 6500EX48 do this very thing after 1.5 yrs of operation. I was not home the first time that it happened (2P2), SS tried to blame improper startup procedure on the first one but sent a replacement anyway. This one happened on Sunday afternoon about 2:45PM. SOC 100% for a couple hours. Almost no load on the system. 2P1 died. I went to the basement to find the main battery input breaker tripped as well as battery 11 and 12 in the daisy chain tripped. Since this was very similar to the first time, I went straight to the battery inputs and they were shorted - zero ohms. Most certainly did not happen during start up. Full disclosure - I am was running EMP shield protection on the PV in, and added them to the batteries and on the house breaker box after the the first failure. I sent the PV in shields back and had them tested. They came back fine. Waiting to see what SS does with this failure...
First step will be troubleshooting but following to ensure this is taken care of in a timely manner!

Back