diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500ex inverter dead shorted its battery terminals

PhotonsAreNeat

Got the chargeverter in. Was charging at 70 amps, up to 56.4v. Turned on the two inverters, it did it's poweron thing, then just as they were about to output, one of them immediately popped the battery breaker for it, 100A. Also, tripped off one of the three lifepower4s. It's reading a dead short on the battery terminals to it now, isolated from the battery bank of course. I'm now 30 minutes into hold waiting for SS tech support.

Anyone else had something like this happen? These units have been working fine, nothing has changed except adding the chargeverter and that is attached directly to the battery rack bus. I'm losing my confidence in this equipment.

Got the chargeverter in. Was charging at 70 amps, up to 56.4v. Turned on the two inverters, it did it's poweron thing, then just as they were about to output, one of them immediately popped the battery breaker for it, 100A. Also, tripped off one of the three lifepower4s. It's reading a dead short on the battery terminals to it now, isolated from the battery bank of course. I'm now 30 minutes into hold waiting for SS tech support.

Anyone else had something like this happen? These units have been working fine, nothing has changed except adding the chargeverter and that is attached directly to the battery rack bus. I'm losing my confidence in this equipment.
Everything was fine until after you added the chargeverter?

They had been working fine before. I was powering 240v loads no problem. This was the first time I had powered them on for about a week, but otherwise hadn't touched anything except adding the chargeverter.
After both inverters have been disconnected with DC breakers open for at least 30 minutes, what resistance does the non issue inverter have across the DC terminals? If it’s the same, there may be nothing wrong with the inverter but some kind of inrush that caused a trip. I think your DC breaker is about half of the name plate suggested current. Verify that the pre charge is in fact happening and verify what you have on the AC load is not excessive. When something was working fine before and after a change it’s not, I’d be focusing on the new connections.

I didn't measure resistance on the working inverter but I did measure voltage, assuming the caps still had a little charge, and they did, 0.75v. Voltage on the dead inverter is 0.0. I thought, at first, that maybe the DC breaker didn't engage fully the first time I tried turning them on. So I turned off both with the buttons. Turned off all batts, turned both DC breakers for each inverter on, and then tried turning on one battery so it would precharge. The DC breaker on that one battery actually sparked internally and immediately tripped off.

Unfortunately, this isn’t the first time that I’ve heard of a system running perfectly fine for months and then all of a sudden it shorts out.

I didn't measure resistance on the working inverter but I did measure voltage, assuming the caps still had a little charge, and they did, 0.75v. Voltage on the dead inverter is 0.0. I thought, at first, that maybe the DC breaker didn't engage fully the first time I tried turning them on. So I turned off both with the buttons. Turned off all batts, turned both DC breakers for each inverter on, and then tried turning on one battery so it would precharge. The DC breaker on that one battery actually sparked internally and immediately tripped off.
Yeah, that’s not good. I’d still like to see if you could use a resistor for a moment and see if you get a voltage increase at the terminals. If the resistor just gets hot, dat bad. I don’t trust some of those pre charge equipped batteries.

So I'm installing this as a total off-grid system for someone else, but I was really considering the 18kpv and powerpro batts for myself. But this is really making me second guess that purchase.

Watts247 is having a clearance on twin LV6548 ‘s $1,749. He will not warranty nor offer parts support(he is having trouble getting them). Warranty is through the manufacturer. I have no idea if they are as good as the units I have, (pre pandemic parts) I believe major problems ( Eg4)are most likely due to parts substitutions. I’m tempted to get these for spares, but I’m not sure that this model will be the last ones I own. Tech is changing fast.

Back