diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Chargeverter UK 240V Mains Wiring

danmc

I'm in the UK, and I have fortunately managed to order an EG4 Chargeverter from Signature Solar. My plan is to wire it up directly to the mains to charge my battery bank when my energy provider offers free/negative or extremely cheap rates.

I notice the Chargeverter ships with a 4 core cable and an L14-30R connector for AC-IN. Can someone who has actually had their hands on one and has opened one up tell me whether it will be a straight forward task to rewire it with a 3 core cable so it can be connected to a consumer unit? I won't have to deal with any soldered connections will I? Also I'm assuming/hoping I'll just be dealing with three connections internally, a live, neutral and an earth, and the only reason a L14-30R connector is to allow the use of an 120v adapter?

If anyone has any photos of the internals they would be very much appreciated. All I can find online are videos, and it's hard to tell exactly what is going on inside as it's a compact unit.

I know I can just wait until it arrives to check these things, but I'm impatient ? Also it would be good to get a head start on ordering bits so I can fit it straight away.

Thanks in advance.

It's actually a 3 conductor cord. (3 core cable)
And it should be straight forward, if you have ever replaced an end on a cord.
For you, it would be.
Brown = live
Blue = neutral
Green/yellow = ground
Just remember that it's designed for 30 amps.
If you connect it to a lesser amperage circuit. You will need to dial back it's current draw.

It's actually a 3 conductor cord. (3 core cable)
And it should be straight forward, if you have ever replaced an end on a cord.
For you, it would be.
Brown = live
Blue = neutral
Green/yellow = ground
Just remember that it's designed for 30 amps.
If you connect it to a lesser amperage circuit. You will need to dial back it's current draw.

Ah OK. Brilliant! That makes my life a lot easier. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

The Chargeverter is setup for the American market
Actually, the only thing about it that is setup for the North American market. Is the cord end its provided with.
The cord itself is even European. (Brown/ blue/yellow with a green stripe)

Actually, the only thing about it that is setup for the North American market. Is the cord end its provided with.
The cord itself is even European. (Brown/ blue/yellow with a green stripe)
I agree, with the Chinese making the bulk of the electronics it’s normally cheaper to have auto switching instead of multiple production lines.
The specs sticker is not marked like you would normally see with the ~ for the voltage shift.
I have seen poorly marked electronics send out smoke signals for help in England, Germany, Greece, Singapore, and Turkey.
My input was hoping to convey caution not skepticism.

CD70EF2C-C2F1-420E-89F6-10BF8A74B2E3.jpeg

Back