diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Chargeverter

Is there any source of these for the UK market?

I'm considering asking Signature Solar what the shipping would be.. of course there'd be VAT to pay as well, but even then this looks like a quality product and I'd be much more comfortable with it than any tat off aliexpress.

Would there be any interest in a group buy from UK members maybe?

How did you get on? Hoping to get one shipped to the UK too. Waiting on a quote for shipping from Signature Solar, but not hopeful.

Wondering if you have been able to do any testing and checking of heat build up during multi-hour runs. I am interested to get a unit.
The longest I've run to date is about 1 hour at 83a @ 52v. I have it mounted vertically with 1/4 spaces away from plywood and it was "OK". It get's hot but not so hot as to be a worry or need special treatment in my install. Sorry I didn't measure the temp.
1699114092176.png

@DavidPoz did some temp measurements at 10:30 in this youtube mounted horizontally....

Cheers. Yeah I've seen that and read the multiple threads with interest. However I'm hoping to get my DIY install signed off at some point and want it look as professional as possible. Also to achieve the same amperage as the EG4 I'd have to connect 4 rectifiers. I may end up doing just that at some point, but will hold out hope someone at Signature Solar gets in touch with a price for UK shipping.

Thanks for taking the time though, much appreciated.

Two actually. The EG4 has two in it as well (it's built around these kinds of rectifiers discussed in the DIY thread).

I was basing the four on these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003755306962.html. They seem the best bang for buck I can find. In fact, I think you may have recommended them in another thread? I saved the link a few weeks ago. 4 x would give me 120A. If you can point me in the direction of an equally capable 50A unit it would be much appreciated.

I was basing the four on these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003755306962.html. They seem the best bang for buck I can find. In fact, I think you may have recommended them in another thread? I saved the link a few weeks ago. 4 x would give me 120A. If you can point me in the direction of an equally capable 50A unit it would be much appreciated.

That's Emerson is a 3kW unit. The EG4 is 5kW, so two of those will do the same as one EG4. 3kW is 60A (at 50V).

By the way, you an see them here in the EG4 (timestamped video):

That's unreal. To think I almost spent close to $500 on a couple of rectifiers and a breaker in a sheet metal box. It's a tidy unit and all, and obviously the current is adjustable on the EG4, but still.

I notice in the teardown EG4 use 2 x 53.5V units. I'm charging a 16s battery, would you recommend the same? The Emerson's seem to range from 48v through to 57.5V. I notice the default on the Alibaba page s 53.5V, is that telling?

I think i'll buy a cheap hydroponic lighting ballast and make my own 120A Chargeverter. ?

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
I notice in the teardown EG4 use 2 x 53.5V units. I'm charging a 16s battery, would you recommend the same? The Emerson's seem to range from 48v through to 57.5V. I notice the default on the Alibaba page s 53.5V, is that telling?

I can set mine through the CAN interface (and also control power output with it), so I don't have a fixed voltage. Something in the 55.2V region (3.45V per cell) is fine. The unit on Aliexpress is also available at 57V (3.56V) per cell if you don't want to use CAN, which is still well below 3.65V per cell and is no issue to charge a 16s LFP pack with.

The drop down selector on AliExpress just means I think they pre program it before mailing out.

This is a pretty common thing for AliExpress modules that are programmable. They set it to what you need before sending it to you.

In this case you are able to set it yourself with an easy thing if you want. In other cases not so much.

The drop down selector on AliExpress just means I think they pre program it before mailing out.

This is a pretty common thing for AliExpress modules that are programmable. They set it to what you need before sending it to you.

In this case you are able to set it yourself with an easy thing if you want. In other cases not so much.

Yes, these come pre-programmed, and with a CAN interface you can set the voltage/power output/... I wrote a Python script for that.

How easy is it to make a code compliant/professional mounting system for yourself? Instead of buying it pre packaged.

IE, if these chargers were paralleled together in data center or telco equipment box, how would they do it?

Oh Ok. Is there a name for a generic rack mount cage for holding these power supplies, along with balance of system components like the breakers?

I know for rack servers these form factor power supplies just slot straight in to for instance a 1U that has hot swap supplies. But that is not a generic mounting solution

Back