diy solar

diy solar

EG4 PowerPro Loose Screw?

Recovering EE

I unboxed a brand new EG4 PowerPro Battery that arrived on a pallet with a 6000XP and various installation stuff. I removed the "top" (large face) of the wooden crate (that corresponds with the front of the PowerPro), and the "end" of the crate (that corresponded to the bottom of the PowerPro) by bending the metal tabs. I then removed the packing material from around the PowerPro, as well as the stapled blocks at the bottom of it, that kept it from sliding around in the crate.

I slid about a third of the 300 pound PowerPro out of the crate and stood it up on its rubber feet. (It was surprisingly not as difficult as I expected for a 68 year-old man.) As I was standing it up, I heard what sounded like a nut or a screw rattle around and fall to the bottom of the PowerPro, inside it's case.

Needless to say, I hesitate to mount this thing on the floor/wall until I resolve this issue.

My question is...how easy is it to open up the PowerPro's case in order to see what fell down and from where it came. I.e. has anyone opened up one of these beasts, how easy/hard was it, and (Signature Solar?) will I void the warranty by doing so.

I *really* don't want to ship this thing back, unless I absolutely must. Doing so would set my project back by about four months.

Thoughts and recommendations?

I'm hoping that SS will chime in, too.

TIA

Thanks for the tag! Let me get you connected with support in the morning to document everything before opening it but we'll get you taken care of! I'll respond to your DM 😊

Thanks for the tag! Let me get you connected with support in the morning to document everything before opening it but we'll get you taken care of! I'll respond to your DM 😊

Perfect! I'll look for your response in my DMs tomorrow.

I'll also report the ultimate resolution here.

Thanks, Jess!

Edit: For those following, Jess again got back to me first thing Monday morning, to connect me directly with SS Customer Support. Also note that she responded to my OP/DM *on a holiday weekend*, to get the ball rolling.

That's some stellar customer support, right there!

Last edited:
Following up...Trevor at SS reached out to me this morning, and asked that I take off the side vent covers. The top ones are taken off as part of the installation process anyway, so it's not like I was digging into the bowels of the battery pack. I wasn't looking forward to major disassembly. Good thing I didn't need to...

It wasn't a screw or nut that fell down. It was the bezel covering the display. I found it lying in the bottom of the left side, under the lower vent cover. I got approval from SS to glue it back on with contact adhesive. Should be good to go, in less than an hour.

These things happen, when something is shipped in a container halfway around the world, and then shipped in the back of a truck for a thousand miles. Rattling, temperature cycling...you name it. I get it, as someone who dealt with these types of things as an R&D Program Manager. Sh*t happens.

What matters the most (to me) isn't necessarily that little things like this don't happen at all, but more importantly, what the supplier response is, on the few occasions that they do. That being said...

Thanks to Brucey, for giving me the direct contact info for Jess at SS. This forum is great!

Thanks to Jess and Trevor at Signature Solar. I am back on track in just a couple of days, even over a holiday weekend!

I demand world-class products and service, and I've found both at Signature Solar.

PS: Reading over this, it sounds like an ad for Signature Solar. Not my intent, but just expressing my gratitude for a job well done.

People on fora of every stripe seem quick to take the time to post complaints, but rarely do folks take the time to post of the times when their expectations are fully met. I try to do my bit to change that perception.

Last edited:
Following up...Trevor at SS reached out to me this morning, and asked that I take off the side vent covers. The top ones are taken off as part of the installation process anyway, so it's not like I was digging into the bowels of the battery pack. I wasn't looking forward to major disassembly. Good thing I didn't need to...

It wasn't a screw or nut that fell down. It was the bezel covering the display. I found it lying in the bottom of the left side, under the lower vent cover. I got approval from SS to glue it back on with contact adhesive. Should be good to go, in less than an hour.

These things happen, when something is shipped in a container halfway around the world, and then shipped in the back of a truck for a thousand miles. Rattling, temperature cycling...you name it. I get it, as someone who dealt with these types of things as an R&D Program Manager. Sh*t happens.

What matters the most (to me) isn't necessarily that little things like this don't happen at all, but more importantly, what the supplier response is on the few occasions that they do. That being said...

Thanks to Brucey, for giving me the direct contact info for Jess at SS. This forum is great!

Thanks to Jess and Trevor at Signature Solar. I am back on track in just a couple of days, even over a holiday weekend!

I demand world-class products and service, and I've found both at Signature Solar.

PS: Reading over this, it sounds like an ad for Signature Solar. Not my intent, but just expressing my gratitude for a job well done.

People on fora of every stripe seem quick to take the time to post complaints, but rarely do folks take the time to post of the times when their expectations are fully met. I try to do my bit to change that perception.
Thank you so much for this feedback! I'm so glad we could get this sorted without having to disrupt your installation!
We appreciate your support so much and wish you all the best with your setup! Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns, we're here to help! ☀️

Just an FYI to SS/EG4... This happened to me to on my second PowerPro. The LCD cover was missing. I saw it down in the grill below, removed the screws to pull the grill, and just stuck it back on.

Sigh of relief when I found it.

It did get a bit scratched from rattling around but I'm not worried.

Mostly just a QC issue you guys should look into. My install is in the basement but it did make me worried about how water resistant things would be if it got wet.

Just an FYI to SS/EG4... This happened to me to on my second PowerPro. The LCD cover was missing. I saw it down in the grill below, removed the screws to pull the grill, and just stuck it back on.

Sigh of relief when I found it.

It did get a bit scratched from rattling around but I'm not worried.

Mostly just a QC issue you guys should look into. My install is in the basement but it did make me worried about how water resistant things would be if it got wet.
I'm so sorry, we will definitely look into this, thank you for letting us know! If things like this do happen, please let us know so that we can get photos and start a claim for you!

One of the major computer manufacturers (Dell?) did a study on customer satisfaction, and the happiest customers' weren't the ones who never had a problem, but those who had a problem that was quickly resolved to their satisfaction. Kudos to SS!
That's a wonderful thing to hear! Thank you @wpns ☀️

Mine was off too on one of mine. I also ended up dropping my dip switch cover screws in the same place in the vent cover... 🤦

No, but after reading this it sounds like I can unscrew the vent cover to get them, so I'll do that.
Great :) If you end up feeling like you have to open the unit completely, make sure you give us a call so that we can give official permission to open it up :) Just the vent cover is fine.

Back