diy solar

diy solar

EMP Warranty

jbkrntrprz

Solar Enthusiast
Has anyone who had the EMP shield installed had an actual lightning strike that took out any of their home PV components, and did they cover the damage. I ask this question because if you read the warranty contract it does not actually say it covers these components. Instead it says it covers devices plugged into a properly grounded outlet. It also says in one sentence that they will cover acts of god events and the next sentence it says they will not. I called them up to get clarification about these numerous discrepancies and when put on hold my connection was lost a few minutes later, and when I left a message to call me back I have not heard from them as of today at noon. Looks to me they are avoiding my concerns. It is a very controversial contract in my opinion. You can download it at their website. Would like to hear of anyone who have had file a claim with them.

I read the warranty, they leave every door open to not cover anything. Way overpriced for a surge protection device $389. Then if it fails you still owe $50 to replace it (probably what it actually costs).

Midnite Solar makes surge protection devices to be used in the same fashion and you can buy them for $90. Id go that route personally.

Emp Sheild looks like an advertising campaign, nothing more.

I read the warranty, they leave every door open to not cover anything. Way overpriced for a surge protection device $389. Then if it fails you still owe $50 to replace it (probably what it actually costs).

Midnite Solar makes surge protection devices to be used in the same fashion and you can buy them for $90. Id go that route personally.

Emp Sheild looks like an advertising campaign, nothing more.
Also the $25000.00 they will reimburse you for damaged items does not apply if other insurance covers it. Does Midnight solar make a DC device to protect at least 500 volts I did not see it. Might have missed it.

Also the $25000.00 they will reimburse you for damaged items does not apply if other insurance covers it. Does Midnight solar make a DC device to protect at least 500 volts I did not see it. Might have missed it.

Like this?

600 volts.

Mike C.
Yeah that's it. Thanks. Looks like I'll be going this route.

You also have a much better chance of getting reimbursed for your solar equipment from your home owners insurance company. Assuming its all properly installed of course. In most cases its worth taking pictures of your system and sending it to your insurance company to have it listed as covered. Wind, hail, lighting, trees falling, theft... Theres more probable things to worry about than Kim Jong Un pressing the button! 😅

You also have a much better chance of getting reimbursed for your solar equipment from your home owners insurance company. Assuming its all properly installed of course. In most cases its worth taking pictures of your system and sending it to your insurance company to have it listed as covered. Wind, hail, lighting, trees falling, theft... Theres more probable things to worry about than Kim Jong Un pressing the button! 😅
Yep

If you take a close lightning strike, no amount of "protection" will help much.

Best strategy is to have enough spares on hand to piece together a temporary system to keep the basics running until you regroup.

Back