diy solar

diy solar

Enable the ability to have the BMS turn off the inverter. Adding a remote BMS ON OFF switch to Xantrex Inverter

Danny

Solar Enthusiast
Will just did a video showing who to add a remote BMS switch to an older inverter charger. This was perfect timing for my project. Shutting off the inverter at the switch makes life a bit easier because we don't need to use high amp expensive contactors / relays. In this video I go into a bit more detail like measuring current and voltage on your existing inverter that does not have the remote capability you wish you add before you connect a relay or switch. Fee free to make comments.

I personally like the concept of being able to let your BMS switch on/off the inverter, chargers, battery protect etc directly. Some people feel like the BMS is overstepping its role, which I get, but I think its a pretty elegant solution.

I personally like the concept of being able to let your BMS switch on/off the inverter, chargers, battery protect etc directly. Some people feel like the BMS is overstepping its role, which I get, but I think its a pretty elegant solution.
This is a safety issue I have not discussed but a good topic. On my boat the inverter is the least important load usually. The inverter charges power tools, computers and runs hair dryers. The dc panel is the most important. Dc panel runs critical loads like nav instruments/gps nav lights, emergency bilge pumps, high water alarms and vhf radio. The conditions on the ocean are often extreme but manageable if I have power to run my dc critical dc loads. I don’t trust my cheap $60 bms with my life or the life of my crew. I don’t trust my DIY bms electrical design with my life. I need to have layers of lvd/hvd to mitigate life threatening risks associated with not having the ability to run to run critical loads on the ocean. My cell lvd my be 2.6, my lvd on dc panel loads may be 12.6. Lvd on inverter May be 13v. See my next video where I implement the inverter lvd

Reactions: Dzl
Back