diy solar

diy solar

Finally Installing our System (What Have I Done Wrong So Far?)

Just tilted one of the arrays for the first time. Just cool to see it work. It's pretty much academic at this point, they do so well vertical and in the summer we don't need any more power until we figure out how to manage a dump load. But just to see what it does. It will be really interesting to see how the vertical vs tilted do on overcast days because so far the bifacial vertical on completely socked in days have been awesome. Now that snow is melting though, who knows.

View attachment 212121

Since I tilted the one array, it has consistently made about 50% more power than the vertical one now that the snow is melted. Once I get some ratchet adapters I'm going to tilt the other array as well.

It has been of little import so far, we are running an electric heat pump and using our electric grill, rice cooker, and induction stove to cook and even after a week of mostly cloudy, sometimes snowy, sometimes foggy days, the lowest the batteries have gotten is 56% and we haven't had to use the generator or wood stove.

We'll install five more arrays all fixed vertical and just tilt these two arrays in the non-winter months.

Back