diy solar

diy solar

First Solar-System check

For welding cable the chart here: https://www.directwire.com/resources/welding-cable-ampacity-chart/#jumptoampacitychart gives some ideas. but it does not allow for enclosed areas and also voltage drop. Many of the charts you find on line are not terribly helpful other than as a starting point.

Remember you have to use round trip cable length.
Obviously there is a clear relevance, Thanks.
The only issue is that the shortest distance in that table is 50 feet. Also, the bottom of the table has a "Note2" that says: distance from power source (per lead), so I don't think we have to use the round trip distance.
Bottom line: I feel good about running (up to) 150A through my 3 foot 4AVG battery wire.

Obviously there is a clear relevance, Thanks.
The only issue is that the shortest distance in that table is 50 feet. Also, the bottom of the table has a "Note2" that says: distance from power source (per lead), so I don't think we have to use the round trip distance.
Bottom line: I feel good about running (up to) 150A through my 3 foot 4AVG battery wire.
Per lead would require round trip distance. Must have a positive and a negative. Though perhaps I am misunderstanding the note: It is easy to do sometimes.

Depending on your regular loading the #4 may be OK but monitor it for heat rise during long term operation.

Oh one other thing. Heavy starting loads might cause a large voltage drop when using smaller cable. This could cause your setup to fault on low voltage.

Last edited:
Something doesn't sound right. Your fridge and freezer would have to be running only about an hour and a half every 24 hour period to only consume 1.6 kwh. Very strange.
BTW, you were right!
While the labels on the devices state 500 and 750W the normal usage is only about 85 and 145W. I saw it on the usage chart of the solar system. But the 1.6KWH of daily usage is correct.

I just wanted to post an update:
My system has been running for about 3 weeks now. and for the most part, it runs as intended. Here are some pictures of the installation:
However, there is one thing that bugs me and I just wanted to see if this is a issue due to my "economy components" or if it is a common issue:
During the day, my battery goes up to 100% charge with no issue but as soon as the sun goes down and both the fridge and the freezer kick on (drawing a combined 240W) the systems shows that in 10 minutes the battery went down from 100% to 50%. If the sun would come back out, the battery would be back at 90% within 15 minutes as well.
The good news is that in the morning before the sun comes back up, with the same load (fridge and freezer) applied during the night, the battery still shows 35% charge.
I double checked the settings for the battery and EcoWorthy support confirms that it is correct.
let me know if you have any comments.

Attachments

• Ancoring S.jpg
    Ancoring S.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Control S.jpg
    Control S.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Pannels S.jpg
    Pannels S.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Tile S.jpg