diy solar

diy solar

For Camping

Rider

Solar Addict
I wanted a small power system for camping, so I used a lot of information gleaned from Will's YouTube vids to put together a system. My main objective was to provide enough power to run a fridge and keep it compact.

The Solar Charger:
As I was walking thru BJs, I spotted a tiered toolbox that would be perfect, that became my electronics package. Solar charger and inverter in the top, storage in the middle and a 100 Ah AGM battery in the base.
20190412_114943.jpg20190412_115008.jpg
20190412_163804.jpg20190412_165652.jpg20190603_201155.jpg

Last edited:
Next was the fridge. I used a 3.5 CF deep chest freezer. It's designed to hold cold better and with a top door, it retains cold when opened. Inserted a thermostat in the power line to regulate it to fridge temps rather than freezer temps. Uses about 1200w on start up for a few seconds, then 90w continuous while actually running. Built an insulated box to hopefully save a few more Kwh. Might not make it thru a rainstorm, but we'll see!
20190403_143653.jpg
A note from supervstech
That’s a great idea, but the compressor is designed to operate with the coolant return line lower than fridge temps can produce.
Long term you may be facing compressor failure. Just something you may want to plan for.

Last edited:
Then I needed a way to transport the solar panel. Decided against mounting it to the top of the pop-up camper, so I built a box with foam insulation that sits on the bottom of the trailer, and the panel slides into it. The panel is a Renogy 270w poly.
20190817_115245.jpg20190822_105425.jpg20190822_105544.jpg20190829_105059.jpg20190829_105151.jpg
All loaded and ready to go!

The fridge will run for about 36 hours before hitting the 50% battery mark. With as little as 3 hours of daylight, it will run indefinitely.

Last edited:
Nice work looks awesome trailer too ? I'm starting to think I should have used a 12v fridge myself. Your weather sounds like mine here in the uk 3 hours sunshine lol

Nice work looks awesome trailer too ? I'm starting to think I should have used a 12v fridge myself. Your weather sounds like mine here in the uk 3 hours sunshine lol
Fridge is 120VAC, powered by the 1000W inverter.

lol... no, weather here is pretty nice most of the time, but hot and humid as hades all summer. The weather has only just this week broken to temps that make it nice to work outside again.

Ahh ok my bad I made the assumption for some reason it was 12v must have missed the two zeros after start up load in my memory bank there. That's really good economy that fridge it seems. Mine is 240v and uses 115w if my calculations are right. It's usually quite cold in our country so I didnt think about making an insulation box for mine. I cant wait test mine out properly see how long I get off grid whilst away.

Wow! Thanks for posting this Rider!

You answered a lot of questions for me! I had a similar idea in mind.

I figure the cost of the inverter and freezer and thermostat are cheaper than a dedicated 12 fridge and larger too! Plus. It's modular so it's cheaper to fix.

Edit..

On the super insulation. Use a temperature gun or feel the outside of the fridge and only insulate the cold sides. Some fridges use a side as a heat release. And of course, don't block any vents...

Last edited:
Mine gets hot on the side that's facing outwards the other 2 are against insulated walls and I've never checked them but yeah I thought same myself. In my country a 12v 3 way fridge is £600. 240v mini fridge perfect for camping and light off grid was £80!! Left me more money to get further along my project for sure. Anything 12v I find is automatically usually very expensive because they like overcharging us happy campers ?

Mine gets hot on the side that's facing outwards the other 2 are against insulated walls and I've never checked them but yeah I thought same myself. In my country a 12v 3 way fridge is £600. 240v mini fridge perfect for camping and light off grid was £80!! Left me more money to get further along my project for sure. Anything 12v I find is automatically usually very expensive because they like overcharging us happy campers ?
Yeah. I really like the energy savings, but the small size and large expense really ruins it for me. Plus they aren't easy to replace.

Sure inverters die, but not as fast if you keep the draw much lower than the rated output.

And the freezers can last for decades if you don't move them much. Even so, they're really cheap.

I have found inverters and power supplies die from insects most often . Attracted to the lights and heat and they get down amongst the Mosfets and poof. Instant carbon track . Good ones will turn off but you turn them back on and they blow. Only way I know so far to change that is a regular clean and some surface spray inside and around outside.

I have found inverters and power supplies die from insects most often . Attracted to the lights and heat and they get down amongst the Mosfets and poof. Instant carbon track . Good ones will turn off but you turn them back on and they blow. Only way I know so far to change that is a regular clean and some surface spray inside and around outside.
To add to that...

I thought about housing my small system with a screen to protect that stuff! Perhaps like a screen door? Lot's of bugs in the south.

I've had 110ac connections, and 220ac well pump switches killed by ants!

It seems to happen only in summer.

On the well switches bug spray was used. And ant trails cleaned and sprayed.

On extension cord connecters (wrapped plugs) diatomacious earth was used to protect the line. However it only lasts a year. Then they move it to get to the line! Nothing lasts forever to protect against ants.

Somehow the ants climb inside the plugs and ruin them making the extension cord unusable! The short changes the copper?

I wanted a small power system for camping, so I used a lot of information gleaned from Will's YouTube vids to put together a system. My main objective was to provide enough power to run a fridge and keep it compact.

The Solar Charge:
As I was walking thru BJs, I spotted a tiered toolbox that would be perfect, that became my electronics package. Solar charge and inverter in the top, storage in the middle and a 100 Ah AGM battery in the base.
View attachment 107View attachment 108
View attachment 109View attachment 110View attachment 111

I was wondering, I heard on a few YouTube videos and pages, that some people put small fans inside their fridges/ conversations to even out the temperature levels, striations.

Is it possible to use those different temperature levels to keep mostly frozen stuff frozen at the bottom level - ice water jugs, as old storage - and then store stuff like condiments at the top level?

Perhaps using an insulated foam board to separate the levels. Or even sticking a small ice chest inside to insulate stuff like oranges from freezing. Would it require a larger chest freezer? 5cf? To make room for insulated areas... Or does it naturally happen?

And finding the specific temperature to maintain the system. Like finding the goldilocks zone? I guess that wouldn't be too hard to do.

Can, would or does that work? Is it a viable concept?

It would be nice /cheaper than a two area 12v fridge, or two chests. At least for me. I only rarely need to access frozen stuff. But it would be very nice to have that option.

Thank you.

Is it possible to use those different temperature levels to keep mostly frozen stuff frozen at the bottom level - ice water jugs, as old storage - and then store stuff like condiments at the top level?
That is exactly what I'm doing, I take advantage of the thermoclines. I put already frozen 1/2 gallon jugs in the bottom, they stay frozen for months (as long as the freezer is running). If some thing you put in the bottom is not frozen, it will not freeze. Right on the cusp. Things in the top tray stay about 36-38*.

That is exactly what I'm doing, I take advantage of the thermoclines. I put already frozen 1/2 gallon jugs in the bottom, they stay frozen for months (as long as the freezer is running). If some thing you put in the bottom is not frozen, it will not freeze. Right on the cusp. Things in the top tray stay about 36-38*.
Yea! That's great news!

Thanks!

Made a little update to the charger. Installed a pair of USB fans. One fan draws air into the box and blows directly on the inverter heat sink. The other fan on the opposite side pulls the air out of the box across the heat sink of the solar charger. Plugged into the inverter USB port, so they only turn on when the inverter is on.

Also added external battery posts. They can be used to charge a battery, add additional Ah for the inverter, or even jump start a car if necessary.

20190925_165154.jpg20190925_165210.jpg20190925_165334.jpg

Thumbs up on that… That’s how we Seperated fridge and freezer on the boat was a piece of insulation and making a separate compartment
Our piss poor hack didn’t work perfectly but sure made a difference and anybody that was willing to spend a little bit of time at it and alter as needed could come up with extremely good results.

And.... one more much needed mod. Taking ideas from others on this forum, I made a frame from PVC pipe for the solar panel. It had to be thin enough to be placed inside the solar panel frame and slide in to the carrier without binding. 3/4" was perfect, the OD of the 90* and 'T' connectors fits right inside.

I used some panel mounts to make a 'notch' for the pipe and attached them to the rear of the panel. Had to cut off the tabs so they would slide into the carrier.

20190930_145124.jpg20190930_145156.jpg20190930_160940.jpg20190930_161325.jpg20190930_161425.jpg

I was rummaging thru the basement and came across this old fiberglass camera case. Haven't used it since I gave up 35mm. It will be perfect for a smaller, much lighter suitcase. Don't have time right now to work on it, but soon....
20191002_144144.jpg

The Solar Charge:
As I was walking thru BJs, I spotted a tiered toolbox that would be perfect, that became my electronics package. Solar charge and inverter in the top, storage in the middle and a 100 Ah AGM battery in the base.
View attachment 107View attachment 108
View attachment 109View attachment 110View attachment 111

What brand of tool box and where is BJ's that is kool

Back