diy solar

diy solar

Grid Tie System Canada Greener Homes Compliant

jgriffin

I’m just about to apply for the Canada Greener Homes Loan. I’m 100% an over-thinker, so just seeing what people think of this for a setup:

Panels: Pallet of 30-480 watt Bi-directional Q.Cells Duo. These seem massive to work with! I don’t love the short wires, but can make due.

Mounts: Unirac RM10 or similar ballast ground mount (I know it limits the back side of the panels, but we have 90 kt N or NE wind gusts a few times every winter. I’m also on ledge about a foot down, we lose roof shingles every winter).

Mount will be about 100’ from meter entrance (some trees will have to go), haven’t calculated losses yet, just seems like the most practical place to put it. I will balance each array, but haven’t quite figured out details on each string configuration yet. Anything different to go by with bi-facials vs regular?

Inverter: Was thinking I’d be happy enough with the Fronius 15.0 Primo, but I can’t get the Sol-Ark 15k out of my mind. My local utility is not ok with the MPP Solar LVX6048WP, which is what I initially wanted, but they are wanting CSA 22.2 directly from manufacturer, not a third party. I encourage anyone in Canada to check with their utility first to find out what works for them, it should be compatible in most provinces. Fronius I’m giving up some features to both of those units, mostly battery, and the Sol-Ark fits every scenario I can see myself getting into. 200A pass through is very intriguing!

I think any attempt at “pressure treated” lumber for ground mount will cost me just as much as the unirac. All we have up this way is the brown treated stuff, green hasn’t been available for a few years now. You cut into it, and you can tell it’s really soft and on the verge of rot to begin with. It would, however, be kinda neat to try a wooden version of an rm10 to customize tilt angle.

The area has a varying amount of slope already, so the extra 10 would put me close to optimal fixed angle, and keep some wind from hitting the back of the panels. Hoping a ballast mount will still work on an unlevelled area.

I also realize the roof is prime angle and direction, and right at the meter entrance location, but we do have intentions of making an apartment unit there to help offset the mortgage, and the potential for a leak is high. We are a coastal area with driving rain in all directions. Our chimney has been an ongoing battle enough, as well as the bottom of our patio doors, some windows, anywhere it's a possibility. I just feel that many penetrations in the roof, although it has the potential to be sealed properly, is never 100%.

Anything else I should consider I’m game with hearing. The Canada Greener Homes Loan is a 10 year interest-free loan. My home already identified Solar as one of the areas to improve, and we’re currently in the mid 30,000 kWh a year territory. If this gets me 1/3 to half of that, I’m happy. I think I’d be ok with a couple more years of ROI for all the features the Sol-Ark can provide. I’d also be getting $2800 back provincially and $5700 federally.

Will post property pictures later, my 1 year old is being kind of a dink. So am I for being on my phone I suppose. ?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sol-Ark 15kw

Q.Cell Panels (Cabin Depot is local, and awesome to work with!)

Unirac (starting to look for a Canadian supplier now):

Yard1.jpgYard2.jpg
End of October, 1:45 PM. The property gets a sunrise from the ocean side and a later sunset than most. One of the higher points of the island so very little obstructions, just......a ton of wind.

Last edited:
Hi JGriffen -I'm in Ontario planning on doing something similar. I'm trying to research the interest free Canada Greener Homes Loan - but I plan to do a lot of the work myself - do you know if this loan requires the use of contractors? I'd just like to finance the parts/racking/inverters/etc, not the installation. Do you know?

Hey there. I’m doing this currently, waiting for temps to warm up so I can get my concrete poured. I did take a U-turn on things though, utility didn’t have sol-ark 15k as one of their approved inverters, so had to go with the Fronius 10.0-1. I Ended up with a package deal from solarpowerstore with bifacial Jinko Panels, and have had to front the money beforehand to get it.

Once approved for greener homes, they ended up giving around 4K immediately after. The remainder is given once inspection is done, and once my audit is completed afterward.

At that point, you can throw the remaining bit onto that loan, and the loan will start withdrawing payment. Technical inspections required an electrician to “do the install” so find someone you can work along side with. You’ll need a permit to have a breaker or line side tap installed regardless.

I'm in Ontario, and have just started researching this option. I'd like to include battery back-up as part of my system as a fail-safe when power goes out. I was in the path of the May tornado that swept across Ontario last spring and since I was out of town, I returned home to a couple large bags of rotting freezer goods. I'd like the system to be able to power the essentials in case of power out - and the option to at least provide some charge for my EV. Too bad the SolArk isn't on the list - I wonder if it might be an option in Ontario. I'll take a look at the Fronius. This seems like a good place to update our findings and progress.

I just poured concrete for the posts yesterday, so from this point I'll be updating as I go. Aside from combiner box and some lumber, everything is now on site to start in. I ended up going with 24 Jinko Bifacials for panels, and i'll be mounting the Fronius inverter at the ground mount location, so keeping DC losses to a minimum that way. Then, it's a simple #2 Teck 90 cable to a Disconnect, then to 60A breaker. Could also use a Line Side Tap possibly, i'm just dealing with what my electrician knows best.

I discovered one of the issues with the SolArk 15K. At least on Ontario, grid-tie, net metering systems limit the amount of power that can be delivered to the grid to 10kW and the SolArk can deliver 15kW. Talking to the folks at at Solar Power Store in Barrie, they indicated that as the distributer they have access to the software and can limit the Solark to 10kW and have had it approved with HydroOne and other utilities here in Ontario. So as a DIY solution, it won't be accepted, but as a part of a system, with the software mods, it will pass and be accepted.
I think this is the path I'll pursue.

Just cleaning up my loan application to make sure everything is on it, then I'll start pulling the trigger on the improvements, Solar + battery backup, proper attic insulation and investigation of heat pumps.

Back