diy solar

diy solar

Ground Fault Detection on Battery Mounts

ForestGnome

Is ground fault protection required on the battery mounts (like it is for many systems on the PV side)? If not, why not?

Thanks!

Is ground fault protection required on the battery mounts (like it is for many systems on the PV side)? If not, why not?

Thanks!
Grounding is required, but I am unaware of any Ground Fault Detection requirements.

Why isn't it required? I don't know.

On the PV side, it became required when they saw many cases where PV ground Faults occurred. With all of the PV panels, wiring, and hand-crimped connectors sitting out in the sun and weather it should be no surprise that issues were occurring. Does this mean there are no ground fault issues on the battery side? Probably not, but it is likely that the other safety requirements (like fuses) will be more likely to clear the fault.

In an ESS the battery frame generally will need to be bonding to the AC side ground, and the breakers will clear a ground fault via overcurrent.

I don't think a standard GFCI breaker would be applicable as a backup to overcurrent, since GFCI breakers generally are not approved for backfeeding.

I think for 12V systems Victron specifies a massive EGC?

Back