diy solar

diy solar

ground, neutral, hot {, hot}

John Frum

Tell me your problems
For the people that do enough electrical wiring that its muscle memory.
What order do you connect the individual wires?
Not that I do a lot of it but I do ground, neutral, hot.
In that order.

I noticed today that a Xantrex inverter/charger manual I was looking at today has the 3 wire wago connectors layed out.
left=neutral
middle=ground
right=hot

It looked weird for a second and I wondered if the natural tendency to go left-right might conflict with the safe practice of ground, neutral, hot in that order.
BTW totally not unrelated, I made big sparks twice today.
I can see why they do it.
Is it a standard?
Is it common?

If you read this far....
?

Ground, in some cases can be a local ground rod, earth ground to short the chassis to ground so you don't have to. Neutral will be connected to ground back at your main panel. While neutral (edited) may seem to be "ground" it is a current return path and even without having active current flow, it can be different than the local ground. So be sure to put ground to ground and neutral to neutral.

Ground, in some cases can be a local ground rod, earth ground to short the chassis to ground so you don't have to. Neutral will be connected to ground back at your main panel. While neutral (edited) may seem to be "ground" it is a current return path and even without having active current flow, it can be different than the local ground. So be sure to put ground to ground and neutral to neutral.

Cool ancillary information.

I cannot think of a reason the order would matter, as long as it is hooked up to the correct conductors...

But an unfamiliar order could cause confusion in a hurry... so DON’T be in a hurry with electrical...

Back