diy solar

diy solar

How to mount a shunt?

dmitrym

Howdy everyone,

I'm building a basic battery box (LiFePO4, 105Ah) and I'm adding a coloumb meter to it. Any advice on how to mount the shunt? Would love to see some examples.

Thanks,

Dmitry

i had this dilema too, and using a metal box didnt help. i mounted the shunt to a strip of ply - then mounted the ply with some aluminium angle and mounted it on its side. its down in the depths of my build so i cant easily get it photod.

Always approach a shunt with caution, from the left side. Avoid direct eye contact and ever so quietly give praise. Then and only then may you attempt to mount. I normally, (unless I'm feeling a little wild) I carefully mount, first one side then the other.

Always approach a shunt with caution, from the left side. Avoid direct eye contact and ever so quietly give praise. Then and only then may you attempt to mount. I normally, (unless I'm feeling a little wild) I carefully mount, first one side then the other.

I find a light appetizer (sea food platter, charcuterie, etc) is not a bad idea. Bottle of wine always help too. I may try quiet praise also. ?

I mounted my 500A/50mV shunt is a stock plastic electric outlet box, flat no outlet cover, with two 3/4" access for PVC conduit on either long ends. Drilled small hole in middle side to bring small shunt sense wires out. Small gauge for the sense wires act as their own fuse if shorted to opposite battery polarity.

Most folks do not realize how much heat can be generated by high current shunts. I do not recommend using the 75 mV shunts as they just increase the heat generated. Heat depends how long you run the high current for. I^2 x Rshunt.

Last edited:
Kinda been thinking about this myself. Possibly will be on its side and on plexiglass so I then may as well use some 3M double side adhesive pieces hold it in place with the wires also strapped down.

Long time ago I came to the conclusion of using Deltec Shunts which have a phenolic backing / mounting which you can screw to a wall or whatever. A Shunt can generate heat and as such should be mounted so that the heat is a non issue (also increases resistance and that's not good).

The ironic thing is, there are Shunt Bases / Holders for sale that cost as much as a complete shunt !

Few idea's on how to make a base:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3477529 (could make it with Plastic "stock")

A good idea here using an ABS Box (could even let the shunt free-float inside one if a cover is on it.

Couple of other ideas:
1970-b5720fbf-c3d9-4183-92c2-f3070fe63f44.png

Thanks. I’m putting this all in a box though. I’m kinda wary of leaving a naked shunt. I’m thinking maybe small Tupperware and a double sided Velcro.

What about something 3D printed?

You might be able to find a free STL file online and a public 3D printer, I’ve found some libraries in Australia and New Zealand have them

Long time ago I came to the conclusion of using Deltec Shunts which have a phenolic backing / mounting which you can screw to a wall or whatever. A Shunt can generate heat and as such should be mounted so that the heat is a non issue (also increases resistance and that's not good).

The ironic thing is, there are Shunt Bases / Holders for sale that cost as much as a complete shunt !

Few idea's on how to make a base:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3477529 (could make it with Plastic "stock")

A good idea here using an ABS Box (could even let the shunt free-float inside one if a cover is on it.

Couple of other ideas:
1970-b5720fbf-c3d9-4183-92c2-f3070fe63f44.png
As an earlier post mentioned, it is not a good idea to mount them in a small enclosed box, they can dissipate a significant amount of heat when passing large currents, you need to allow that heat to dissipate, not box it up. A 500 amp, 75 millivolt shunt will dissipate 37.5 watts of heat running at full capacity (500 x .075). If you boxed that up in that small plastic box, it would likely get hot enough to melt the plastic.

As an earlier post mentioned, it is not a good idea to mount them in a small enclosed box, they can dissipate a significant amount of heat when passing large currents, you need to allow that heat to dissipate, not box it up. A 500 amp, 75 millivolt shunt will dissipate 37.5 watts of heat running at full capacity (500 x .075). If you boxed that up in that small plastic box, it would likely get hot enough to melt the plastic.

I guess good venting in the box would solve that.

Most electronics need a pathway to dissipate heat

As you can see in post #27 I just used zip ties:

Yep, you absolutely need big ventilation holes if you do that. But the best is just to let it in free air, it'll give more accurate results (those shunts aren't zero tempco resistors, only low tempco) and you don't risk melting plastic...

Also it's recommended to not go past 2/3 of the shunt rating, so for example if you want to measure 300 A max it's a lot better idea to use a 500 A shunt instead of a 300 A one.

I cut a 1/2" piece of plywood roughly 1.5"x5". Then drilled four 3/16" holes in appropriate spots to use zip ties (pulled tight) to hold the shunt to the ply. Need to carve a small channel on back of ply so zip tie would be flush with ply. Then drilled two holes at each end for screws to mount to larger plywood where everything else is mounted.

I run with Deltec 500A/50mv shunts, they do get "warm" but never HOT. Always derate of course, as mentioned above, by a minimum of 25% at least just to be on the safe side.

IF you have a Shunt that gets Hot to the touch IT IS UNDERRATED or you have a wiring fault at the Shunt like a bad crimp / lose connection. The Molded PVC boxes can handle up to 50C/122F temps and higher depending o class & type.

They get warm in free air, but put one in a fully closed plastic box and I assure you it'll get far more hotter than warm (unless it's a very big box like dozens of inches).

Back