diy solar

diy solar

How to select of MPPT controller based on battery capacity and C-rating ?

akumd

Most of the existing videos/articles on selecting MPPT controller does NOT consider Maximum Charge current of the battery.
I have few question regarding this,
Say a 24v/50AH LifePo4 battery used with a 1100W(total power) solar panels.
Assuming safe charge current of the battery is 25A (i.e. 0.5C).
(and assuming the availability of a MPPT controller with Max-60A with the capability to control max charging current)

Do I have to limit Maximum charge current of the MPPT controller to 25A ? (i.e. If I am expecting to use the battery for a long time)
If so, does it mean maximum continuous power I can draw (when there is sufficient Sun light AND without draining the battery) from the unit is 24vx25A => 600W

Also does it mean that if I want to use the full capacity of the Solar panels, I have to switch to battery with higher capacity(e.g. 24v/100AH) ?

Last edited:
Do I have to limit Maximum charge current of the MPPT controller to 25A Also does it mean that if I want to use the full capacity of the Solar panels,
Yes, if your goal is to stay within the 0.5C specs of the battery manufacurer. You could charge at a higher rate with some unknown degradation of battery life. There are a lot of Youtube videos of people playing with batteries to see different results.
You are never going to use the full capacity of your solar panels because the insolation varies by season. It is going to be a compromise between excess capacity in summer or not enough capacity in winter.
So far you have only talked about current. The other thing you will want to considers is sizing the battery pack to cover the loads you want to power. Personally the place I like to start is the understand my loads and the timing of my loads and size a system based on that.

Last edited:
Yes, if your goal is to stay within the 0.5C specs of the battery manufacurer. You could charge at a higher rate with some unknown degradation of battery life. There are a lot of Youtube videos of people playing with batteries to see different results.
You are never going to use the full capacity of your solar panels because the insolation varies by season. It is going to be a compromise between excess capacity in summer or not enough capacity in winter.
So far you have only talked about current. The other thing you will want to considers is sizing the battery pack to cover the loads you want to power. Personally the place I like to start is the understand my loads and the timing of my loads and size a system based on that.
thanks. too bad once the battery is (almost) fully charged, it does NOT take in current, but still we have to limit the power available to the load.

Are there MPPT controllers that can control it's max current based on input(charging current of the battery at a given moment) from BMS (e.g. JK BMS) ? only if the battery is fully charged, raise the max current limit allowed through the MPPT SCC.

Are there MPPT controllers that can control it's max current based on input(charging current of the battery at a given moment) from BMS (e.g. JK BMS) ? only if the battery is fully charged, raise the max current limit allowed through the MPPT SCC.

the current is always available from the scc, the battery only takes what it needs to maintain its charge voltage

Back