D

Deleted member 165

Deleted due to jerk mod trolling me.

Attachments

• 20190921_115812.jpg
    20190921_115812.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 129
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice workmanship! What's the red gizmo above the inverter? Are those ground wires?

...I know I need a fuse between the batteries and the inverter, but is it critical if I'm only using 500w or so? ...
The fuse isn't for normal usage; it's for abnormal usage. So, don't think of it as 500w. Think of it as a short from a wrench getting dropped across two wires and welding itself in place so it can't be removed. That's what happens when Scotty yells...She's gonna blow!

I'm thinking you'll need a fuse to go with it ;) It was the one negative comment on amazon. It's rated for 300 amps, so good for 3600W at 12V.
If you're a hobbyist and love this stuff, you might also think about a meter and shunt so you can measure current flows.
Absolutely not needed, but a nice cool-factor when you're showing it off.

Just saw in your post about those stiff cables... <sigh> should probably write something up on minimum bend radius. yeah, they do make "extra-flexible" battery cables, never used them though.

Last edited:
I used some flexible 4 gauge jumper cables. Thin strand, super flexible. I use the clamp end as connectors for a spare battery.
How'd they work out? Any unexpected gotchas?

How'd they work out? Any unexpected gotchas?
Worked fine. I like to solder my connections instead of crimp, and the insulation started to melt as I heated it with the torch (cheap coating), but it all gets covered up with shrink tubing anyway.

I selected the 300 amp fuse based on the rated input for the inverter. Should I go bigger to cover surge wattage up to 6,000 watts (500 amps)?
Well, 12VDC x 300A = 3600W. If you surge beyond 3600W, chances are it will pop. Size the fuse for your MAX amps draw. If you surge to 4000W, the fuse should be no less than 333A, plus fudge factor, so 350A. If you size to the maximum possible surge of 6000W, that's 500A plus fudge, as you have stated.

Seems like it should be 500a if I want to use all of the inverter, and according to the charts I'm looking at, I still need 4/0 wire at that amperage and it may not even be enough?
There's nothing to stop you from running more than one wire, double it up if needed. Lower cost, easier to manipulate. 2 wires each carrying 250A each is still 500A. Just need 2 fuses, one on each wire.

There's nothing to stop you from running more than one wire, double it up if needed. Lower cost, easier to manipulate. 2 wires each carrying 250A each is still 500A. Just need 2 fuses, one on each wire.
BTW folks, this also works for wiring from the panel to the SCC. Running 3 pairs of 12 gauge wire can handle 60 amps, that's 1440W at 24VDC, 720W at 12VDC. Just need to use a couple of small buss bars on each end.

Seems like it should be 500a if I want to use all of the inverter, and according to the charts I'm looking at, I still need 4/0 wire at that amperage and it may not even be enough?
Usually breakers/fuses won't trip on surges as they are very short durations. General rule of thumb is to upsize 125% of expected current.
Don't worry if the wire is bigger than what you need, lower losses that way.

If the fuse holder is rated for 300 amps, a 500 amp fuse isn't a good idea.

My OCDness really want's all the bends at 90 degrees, Physics & NEC regulations can sometimes make you want to :cry:
But the pretzel likeness is a nice testimony to it's flexibility.

My OCDness really want's all the bends at 90 degrees, Physics & NEC regulations can sometimes make you want to :cry:
But the pretzel likeness is a nice testimony to it's flexibility.
:rolleyes: If it makes you feel better, there are no bends less than 100* when installed and in operation, and the wire size is over-rated for my current draw, although cheap 4 gauge may not actually be 4 gauge. Happy?

:LOL: All good, my friend.

Why are you using fuses? You can have the same protection from a circuit breaker that can be reset or it can be used as a disconnect to work on your system. Your house has circuit breakers (unless it was built in the 1950's) they do the same job of protecting the circuits and are easier to reset.

Both inverter batteries should not be on the same battery...
You want loads to pull from balanced sides. Connecting to the same battery, will off balance the cels.

Opposite for charging them as well.

Back