diy solar

diy solar

IntegraRack: Ground Mount with Epoxy Ground Stakes and Ballast Options

Thank you @Nan_wpg. Yes, unfortunately freight shipping is still pretty challenging for the bulky nature of our product. Hopefully you are located relatively near one of our reseller partners, which would help us manage that cost a little.

I'm very sorry to hear that we have not been responsive enough to you. We strive to be very responsive. Please direct all email communications now to sales@powerfieldenergy.com, and I'll make sure we get back to you quickly.

I watched a YouTube video with your power racks. (Unplugged Texan). He needed to use plastic extentions for his panels. Do these extentions come with each power rack?

Your website doesn’t mention them, nor does any of your instructions on your site. At which point would you need the extentions? (Panel width)

The Integra ground pole mount 4,6,&8 panel versions has one great (even unusual) feature, no structure under the back of the panel. Few mounting systems are ideal for bifacial panels. Powers, Opsun, and Integra plus a few commercial trackers, and a few Chinese are available. The Integra mounts do look a bit flimsy buy they do come with engineering documents for permitting.
Have you seen any vertical racking for bi-facial panels?

I'm working out a practical design for a steel fence style vertical mounting pole good for 100mph wind & using bifacial panels. Not my highest priority, it will be specifically used to provide PV dc to a 24K hybrid heat pump for winter heat & summer A/C.

I'm working out a practical design for a steel fence style vertical mounting pole good for 100mph wind & using bifacial panels. Not my highest priority, it will be specifically used to provide PV dc to a 24K hybrid heat pump for winter heat & summer A/C.
Look at what @shadowmaker did gluing three 700W panels into a 2.1kW assembly and then mounting them between telephone poles.

I’m thinking about augering 3’ deep holes and setting 1&5/8” unistrut into holes filled with concrete. Mount my 450w bi-facial panels horizontal about 30” above grade. Support each panel on underside with unistrut connected to each vertical. I have lots of 20’ pieces of strut purchased from Craigslist in 2021. 3 - 3600watt rows spaced 50’ apart and facing east/west and also use as fencing for my chicken operation. Then one 3600watt section mounted at angle facing south.

I’m thinking about augering 3’ deep holes and setting 1&5/8” unistrut into holes filled with concrete. Mount my 450w bi-facial panels horizontal about 30” above grade. Support each panel on underside with unistrut connected to each vertical. I have lots of 20’ pieces of strut purchased from Craigslist in 2021. 3 - 3600watt rows spaced 50’ apart and facing east/west and also use as fencing for my chicken operation. Then one 3600watt section mounted at angle facing south.
I would double up the strut back to back for at least 2' below ground and 2' or more above ground.

Look at what @shadowmaker did gluing three 700W panels into a 2.1kW assembly and then mounting them between telephone poles.
Only one year experience so far with some ~29m/s (65MPH) direct hit winds so it's far too early to say how good or bad my setup is. CCA treated poles were "free" and still got plenty of them. No problems so far though.

It's a big sail. 2,9m x 4m, so over 11m2 while reaching 5m from the ground.
first panels.jpg

ready back.jpg

It would never be cost effective but in an ideal world maybe a method to harvest that potential sail energy by having the posts levered at the ground, and take advantage of the back and forth movement upto certain angle limits you set via hydraulic rams. Sorta likes tidal wave generator but in the air.

I watched a YouTube video with your power racks. (Unplugged Texan). He needed to use plastic extentions for his panels. Do these extentions come with each power rack?

Your website doesn’t mention them, nor does any of your instructions on your site. At which point would you need the extentions? (Panel width)
Great catch, @Nan_wpg. We're behind with our instructional documents. That extension piece is what we call a Module Size Adapter, and it does what it sounds like it does. For panels below 39.8 in wide (which would be the "height" dimension once it's turned landsape), that piece is not necessary. Using that piece allows for panels up to 41.3in wide.

We always like to know which modules a customer is using so we can confirm fit ourselves. But the adapter piece is included in the price of the PowerRack, so we include it when needed for no additional cost.

Just a thought, cause I have no idea… the power racks are black, and full of sand. Would they be a lot hotter than a typical racking system? Not a lot of air movement or wind under the panels since they are resting on the tubs. Plus the sand /earth would retain heat?

Looked through this thread, glad I found it! I've been considering what it would take to make use of my brushy hillside behind my home.. the convenient thing is, it's already on a roof-angle type of slope, probably 25-30 degrees. I was considering the Brightmount, but... maybe that's overkill? Literally, just need 2 long rails, with 4 posts in the ground, and maybe some in-between brackets to get the spacing right. 3 feet off the ground is probably good. I've look around, and all I see are mostly expensive kits that are somewhat overkill for me. 2 of these would be enough for me, only need 8 panels. Thoughts?

Hillside-panels.jpg
There is one called "Eco-Worthy" but looks like it's just for smaller panels. Eco-Worthy Brackets

Looked through this thread, glad I found it! I've been considering what it would take to make use of my brushy hillside behind my home.. the convenient thing is, it's already on a roof-angle type of slope, probably 25-30 degrees. I was considering the Brightmount, but... maybe that's overkill? Literally, just need 2 long rails, with 4 posts in the ground, and maybe some in-between brackets to get the spacing right. 3 feet off the ground is probably good. I've look around, and all I see are mostly expensive kits that are somewhat overkill for me. 2 of these would be enough for me, only need 8 panels. Thoughts?

View attachment 215615
There is one called "Eco-Worthy" but looks like it's just for smaller panels. Eco-Worthy Brackets

Thanks for that. It’s on my radar now.

I’m thinking (and might work for you as well?) of putting down some 2 x 6’s on the ground, then mount the eco worthy to them. I’d need 2 kits for 4 panels. I might want to add a piece of metal for bracing to prevent,side to side “racking”. All that’s missing from eco is the grounding hardware

Thanks for that. It’s on my radar now.

I’m thinking (and might work for you as well?) of putting down some 2 x 6’s on the ground, then mount the eco worthy to them. I’d need 2 kits for 4 panels. I might want to add a piece of metal for bracing to prevent,side to side “racking”. All that’s missing from eco is the grounding hardware
Yeah, that's the thing for me, it's just not long enough, I'd want to use 40" wide panels as well. I'm considering just sourcing some parts from Amazon for the footers and rotating joints, then maybe Home Depot has the U-channel. OR, if you just use everything in their kit except the horizontal U-channel, maybe HD or Lowes has a similar U channel in longer pieces, then you can space it out further, and maybe fit a 3rd, or even a 4th on there! I think ideally, this is as basic and simple as I've found. It's actually perfect, because it will work on a slope as well. For me, I'd just dig post holes and concrete them.

For anyone who is still looking around and considering your options for ground mount. Consider just using standard racking rails, and attaching them to your posts as you see fit. For example, IronRidge sells a 168" to a 216" rail, ranging from $35 - $55 per rail depending on the retailer and size. If you have 4 posts in the ground, metal or wood attached to concrete however you want, you simply attach 2 parallel rails to 2 posts, and suspend the panels between them with regular panel bolt downs. You can add supporting brackets between them if needed. The IronRidge rails are attached to your posts with a slight tilt angle for the panels, so you'll need some type of hinge or slight bend to the part that attaches to the posts, and then attaches to the rails. https://www.ironridge.com/component/xr-rails/

Pricing out 2 arrays with spacing for 5 panels each. Including all the bits and bobs, it costs around $450. Alternatives are the BrightMount type systems. But with shipping fees, and the fact that I can pretty easily take advantage of the slope behind me with a custom setup, it just makes sense to put my own posts in and use the IronRidge rails. Happy to include any links for parts for those who are curious.

Very nice! And simple.

I wish someone had these corner brackets with different angles so we could have a 30 degree wooden solar mount! How cool would that be. Would take minutes to throw that together.
Albeit a little expensive, but exactly what you were looking for. I'm actually looking into to building out a new array using these style brackets. They seem robust and a quick simple way to build a structure.

Current Connected is sold out of these and not ETA for in-stock. I will never ever again buy an EG4 Brightmount. So many problems with 6x6 posts splitting (Even pre-drilled btw) and now problems with having to purchase the EG4 extender kit that should have come with the array to begin with. My new panels do not fit so I had to stop my project, order these other components from Signature Solar and wait to drive back to my ranch and go from there. SMH.

Current Connected is sold out of these and not ETA for in-stock. I will never ever again buy an EG4 Brightmount. So many problems with 6x6 posts splitting (Even pre-drilled btw) and now problems with having to purchase the EG4 extender kit that should have come with the array to begin with. My new panels do not fit so I had to stop my project, order these other components from Signature Solar and wait to drive back to my ranch and go from there. SMH.
No way!!!! Can you post more photos of the splitting? What wind speeds have you had?

Back