diy solar

diy solar

Looking for a schematic for Growatt MIN series of inverters for repair

lapsmith

Something shorted or tripped inside my inverter when connecting the Growatt MIN114000TL-XH-US inverter to an LG RESU battery. Now when I power on the inverter it gives a fault that the PV voltage is too high (even though it isn't). I'm not too optimistic that getting a replacement or repair from Growatt will be easy or quick, so I'm hoping to fix it myself. I know it's a long shot, but has anyone come across the full schematic?.

Unfortunately I don’t think you will find anything, if you do please post it.
Question: if you lift the PV wire(s) does the problem remain?

I suggest taking a deep breath and calmly troubleshooting all the basics. But, also call the Growatt support number and when they get back to you they will ask you to check a lot of stuff. 888-686-0298. The times I’ve called they called back within 30min to 3 hours.
And absolutely, if it turns out to actually be a failure please report back.

Many times in my career I have found my own “stupid” mistake after having time to chill and rechecking for the 3rd or 4th time, it has been the same on my solar work.

It just occurred to me that there is a potential “trap” when connecting a battery to that inverter.
1) the PV input terminals are adjacent to the battery input terminals.
2) the PV inputs can’t handle over 16.9 short circuit amps.
3) I have watched the battery current on my systems spike above 17 amps (400 volts) and persist at that level for a second or two. I’m not sure how accurate my clamp on is, so it might not be quite that high.
4) I have 16 amp breakers between my batteries and inverter inputs. When I turn on a battery before shutting the breaker, the breaker typically trips the first time then stays closed after that. I try to remember to close the breaker first.

Long story short, it occurs to me that if a person somehow accidentally got the battery input touching or connected to a PV input it could fry something.

Question: if you lift the PV wire(s) does the problem remain?
Sort of. When there is no voltage on the PV input, the inverter fault light only blinks, as opposed to steady with PV connected. But as soon as the PV is connected, the fault is steady. I called Growatt and they are referring this to the engineers in China. The US tech did say that the inverter is reporting the PV voltage too high while I only measure 220 and 190V for each string. Maybe a comparator or something else got fried. Anyway, I'll let you know what they say.

Interestingly, I learned that the reset function in the app wouldn't help as I hoped it would. It is the same as rebooting.
Many times in my career I have found my own “stupid” mistake after having time to chill and rechecking for the 3rd or 4th time, it has been the same on my solar work.
I admit, I've made my share of stupid mistakes. But in this case, all the wires were connected properly and I checked 3 or 4 times. (there are only + - and G so hard to mess up. But then again, I'm good at messing up).
3) I have watched the battery current on my systems spike above 17 amps (400 volts) and persist at that level for a second or two. I’m not sure how accurate my clamp on is, so it might not be quite that high.
I didn't connect the battery to the PV, thank goodness. But interesting that the PV side is messed up, even though it was the battery I was connecting.
4) I have 16 amp breakers between my batteries and inverter inputs. When I turn on a battery before shutting the breaker, the breaker typically trips the first time then stays closed after that. I try to remember to close the breaker first.
Interesting. Must be charging up some big caps when it is first connected. But then it shouldn't matter which order you turn on the breaker and the battery.

Side question: The LG battery has a built in breaker. Is there any need or benefit to adding an in line breaker between the inverter and battery?

Side question: The LG battery has a built in breaker. Is there any need or benefit to adding an in line breaker between the inverter and battery?
The ARO battery only has a disconnect. That is why the breaker is needed. The manual specifically tells you to install 16 amp.

MajicDiver, Is it possible to change the MPPT and run it independent? bypassing the fault?

The US tech did say that the inverter is reporting the PV voltage too high while I only measure 220 and 190V for each string.
So it only happens on two strings? If you move one to another what happens?

Will be interesting/educational how long it takes for them to make you whole. There are tons of those inverters in the states so a replacement should be quick if they want to be quick.

So it only happens on two strings? If you move one to another what happens?
Good question. I just tested and it happens on the other two strings as well.

Considering that it took about 3 weeks to get from my supplier, I'm not optimistic a replacement will not be any quicker.

Does anything happen if you run the Mppt independent

Attachments

• IMG_4706.png
    IMG_4706.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 9
Don't know why, but I don't have the option to set that on my inverter/ShineTools app. It is MIN11400TL-XH-US and has 4 MPPT inputs.

Good question. I just tested and it happens on the other two strings as well.

Considering that it took about 3 weeks to get from my supplier, I'm not optimistic a replacement will not be any quicker.
I learned a number of useful tidbits last summer when I asked a lot of questions before buying my last inverter (spare):
1)Growatt has a warehouse in California and typically keeps a large stock there. Some suppliers maintain their own stock, others have no stock and order from Growatt before sending to you, or have them shipped directly from Growatt to you.

2) Attached is one piece of a spreadsheet I was given which shows the number of Growatt MIN series inverters Growatt had in California at that time, late June.

Sometimes it can be useful to have an idea of what a company can do in situations like this, gives you an idea of how hard to push and sometimes it can help if you give them an idea you know what they could do.

Attachments

• MIN-xxxxTL-XH-US_inStockCount.jpg
    MIN-xxxxTL-XH-US_inStockCount.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 23
2) Attached is one piece of a spreadsheet I was given which shows the number of Growatt MIN series inverters Growatt had in California at that time, late June.
Wow, that's a lot of inventory. I wonder what their sales volume is to justify that. Good info to have thanks!

I got some good info from BKY through PM. Thanks for the referral!

Update to the status of this inverter. I spoke to several tech reps at Growatt last week and no luck getting it back on line. As of today, they approved the warranty claim and will be sending a new one. I'm so glad they stand behind their products. Also, I spoke to 3 different reps so it's not like they are a one man outfit. Reassuring. I just wish their documentation was better.

Speaking of documentation, they sent me a revised installation manual which I've never seen before and it has some new information that I would like to share, but don't see how to add a document here. I don't have a link either so if anyone needs it, they can contact Growatt..

Speaking of documentation, they sent me a revised installation manual which I've never seen before
There is an “attach files” button to bottom left of the input field.

There are several good documents on the Growatt website. I’ll upload a couple relevant to the MIN inverters we have when I’m home as well as the website link. A lot of the data sheets and manuals on the vendor websites are very old, especially SS.

Thanks, I missed that; I was looking above the input field. It turns out the file is too big to upload anyway.

The title of the document is "Growatt MIN V4 guide", if anyone wants to search for it (I tried but couldn't find it after a quick look). BTW, the title page indicates it is V6.

Back