diy solar

diy solar

Looking to create a home backup

Jaz

Hello all, my name is Jasmine and I am new here. I have been watching as many of Will’s videos as possible.
I would like to install a back up solar system that is not grid tied for my house. I am not afraid to work with a 48v all in one system. I attached my current electric usage based on my electric bill. Any recommendations on the type of system that I could use....is there a plug and play option that would work? Thank you and sorry for the newb questions.

Attachments

• A0A38150-7F97-45A6-86C0-C38F37294261.jpeg
    A0A38150-7F97-45A6-86C0-C38F37294261.jpeg
    24.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 1254A0B1-3F67-41DC-AA14-FAE0FC2D2413.jpeg
    1254A0B1-3F67-41DC-AA14-FAE0FC2D2413.jpeg
    21.6 KB · Views: 15
Welcome Jasmine.

Are those 2 months representative?
Will you use more in the summer?
Do you wish to supply the whole house or just some circuits?
How many days of autonomy do you require?
Will you have an ice generator to fall back on?

I am in N.C. and I have just moved in, so those are pretty representative of my usage. I would like to be able to at minimum power my refrigerator, a chest freezer (to be purchased eventually), televisions and some small appliances. This would be for an emergency backup to maintain as many creature comforts as I can if the power goes out. Although, if it is possible to power the whole house based off my current usage, I wouldn’t mind hearing my options.

I would like to be able to have a system that I can use for power outages that might last several days to a few weeks.

I do not have a generator.

We have one data point which averages 15.27 kwh per day for the whole house.
That is a lot of battery and a lot of panels which means lots of dollars.

I suggest you get 1 or more of these http://www.p3international.com/products/p4400.html and start measuring your loads.
I would measure a whole month per device.
The number you want is daily average kwh.
We know you need 120VAC, do you also require 240vac?

Are you open to the idea of an ice generator to extend your autonomy?

We have one data point which averages 15.27 kwh per day for the whole house.
That is a lot of battery and a lot of panels which means lots of dollars.

I suggest you get 1 or more of these http://www.p3international.com/products/p4400.html and start measuring your loads.
I would measure a whole month per device.
The number you want is daily average kwh.
We know you need 120VAC, do you also require 240vac?

Are you open to the idea of an ice generator to extend your autonomy?

Thank you so much for you assistance. I clearly need to re-evaluate what I “need” vs what I “want” in a power outage situation. I am going to go through my must have electrical appliances an calculate my daily usage vs my expected daily usage during a catastrophe.

I am in N.C. and I have just moved in, so those are pretty representative of my usage. I would like to be able to at minimum power my refrigerator, a chest freezer (to be purchased eventually), televisions and some small appliances. This would be for an emergency backup to maintain as many creature comforts as I can if the power goes out. Although, if it is possible to power the whole house based off my current usage, I wouldn’t mind hearing my options.

I would like to be able to have a system that I can use for power outages that might last several days to a few weeks.

I do not have a generator.
Heh, which end of NC? I’m in Charlotte area.
anyway, if all you need are refrigeration, lights, tv/internet etc... a backup system is fairly simple.
If you want HVAC and cooking abilities to remain... that gets tricky.

Reactions: Jaz
I moved ACDC’s question to its own thread here.

And for @Jaz note that your use case is an easier solution.

You could go with 16 of the 280 Ah XUBA cells discussed on the forum. Add an appropriate 48v inverter rated for whatever peak power use you calculate, add a BMS, some panels with SCC and there you go!

Come back with more questions that you will likely have as you climb the learning curve.

If you have just moved to NC, you have yet to go through a summer in your new place. Your electric bills will go up. This winter was very mild, so I would treat the current bills as "best case" as far as power usage goes. Most homes use 240v to run the HVAC, electric stoves/ovens and Dryers. Is your stove, heat, hot water, gas or electric? All these things matter when sizing a system. Another thing to consider is if you are in a neighborhood with an HOA, there will likely be restrictions on where you can put solar panels. I can't put panels on the south facing portion of my roof because that would be visible from the street. That pretty much kills any chance for a whole house system for me unless the rules change. I decided to build a couple portable systems to run the fridge, microwave and other creature comforts. I have a 300 watt inverter and small battery that can run my internet/networking for a day before needing a recharge. I have a second battery so one can be charging while the other is running the networking gear so I can pretty much go indefinitely with that since the battery can charge in about an hour off the 200 watt solar suitcase panel I have. The bigger (12v, 2000 watt) system can run 1 fridge for 16 hours per battery. It's also capable of running the microwave when needed. It takes a lot longer to charge that battery though.

Having a generator as backup to solar is a good idea. When I first got may batteries, inverter and solar panel last year, it was cloudy/rainy for a week...

Another thing to consider is if you are in a neighborhood with an HOA, there will likely be restrictions on where you can put solar panels. I can't put panels on the south facing portion of my roof because that would be visible from the street. That pretty much kills any chance for a whole house system for me unless the rules change.

I think I would be working to change the restrictions or get an exception

Heh, which end of NC? I’m in Charlotte area.
anyway, if all you need are refrigeration, lights, tv/internet etc... a backup system is fairly simple.
If you want HVAC and cooking abilities to remain... that gets tricky.
I’m in Concord. I have a propane grill, so I’m thinking the essentials plus TV, internet, charge phone and some lights if needed. Fridge, 5-7 cu chest freezer if they ever become available again. I do have an HOA, so I can put whatever I want in the yard.....attached to the house may be different.

If you have just moved to NC, you have yet to go through a summer in your new place. Your electric bills will go up. This winter was very mild, so I would treat the current bills as "best case" as far as power usage goes. Most homes use 240v to run the HVAC, electric stoves/ovens and Dryers. Is your stove, heat, hot water, gas or electric? All these things matter when sizing a system. Another thing to consider is if you are in a neighborhood with an HOA, there will likely be restrictions on where you can put solar panels. I can't put panels on the south facing portion of my roof because that would be visible from the street. That pretty much kills any chance for a whole house system for me unless the rules change. I decided to build a couple portable systems to run the fridge, microwave and other creature comforts. I have a 300 watt inverter and small battery that can run my internet/networking for a day before needing a recharge. I have a second battery so one can be charging while the other is running the networking gear so I can pretty much go indefinitely with that since the battery can charge in about an hour off the 200 watt solar suitcase panel I have. The bigger (12v, 2000 watt) system can run 1 fridge for 16 hours per battery. It's also capable of running the microwave when needed. It takes a lot longer to charge that battery though.

Having a generator as backup to solar is a good idea. When I first got may batteries, inverter and solar panel last year, it was cloudy/rainy for a week...
What are your opinions on the Titan system. Something I can bring out when needed for specific appliances. I can survive without AC or Heat, but I really want to ensure the $$$$ of food in my fridge doesn’t go bad. And some tv to keep me from going completely feral when there is no power.

I’m in Concord. I have a propane grill, so I’m thinking the essentials plus TV, internet, charge phone and some lights if needed. Fridge, 5-7 cu chest freezer if they ever become available again. I do have an HOA, so I can put whatever I want in the yard.....attached to the house may be different.
Heh, I just rewired an old house in concord Monday. I will be working in concord next Monday as well, wiring a swimming pool and outdoor grill setup, drop me a message if ya wanna chat onsite next week.
The titan is a powerful system, but DIY is possible to build better for less.

Reactions: Jaz
Heh, I just rewired an old house in concord Monday. I will be working in concord next Monday as well, wiring a swimming pool and outdoor grill setup, drop me a message if ya wanna chat onsite next week.
The titan is a powerful system, but DIY is possible to build better for less.
That would be awesome. Thank you!

Back