diy solar

diy solar

LTO battery fire

I found a company out of Niagra Falls that manufactures a paint that has been shown to dramatically reduce the ignition potential. Not cheap
There are a few companies that make intumescent paint, and it is really a great way to go. Cost for the paint used to be around $2-3/square foot. There are versions compatible with steel and wood, not sure about other surfaces.

I buy this at my local lumber yard (BMR). Been using this stuff for years as Tile Backer and as subfloor for specialized areas (tiled of course). I am not sure where you can get it in the US but there are a few different brand names. It is widely available in UK & EU as well as Asia where it is really popular.
Last batch I bought was about 60% of the cost of fireboard, that was in 2018 though... so what it is today is a mystery.
Another good option is the Autoclave Aerated Concrete (AAC), with proper adhesives. Light weight, easy to cut with power tools, and semi-structural depending on the type.

We were told if a fire occurs just head for the door and hit the EPO on your way out.
Ours had a sign "Push button to update resume." For a computer equipment fire they are great. For a structural fire you still need some kind of sprinkler system though.

Ours had a sign "Push button to update resume." For a computer equipment fire they are great. For a structural fire you still need some kind of sprinkler system though.
That’s funny and appropriate because you definitely wouldn’t be working there anymore.

They put a plastic flip up case around ours to keep the contractors from thinking it was a door release or something even though it says in BIG letters EPO.

The building was all poured concrete.
Raised floor was about the only thing combustible besides the servers and network gear in the racks.

I never saw any sprinkler heads in there so I have no idea how they planned on containing a fire other than let it burn out inside the concrete structure.

I have wondered about making server rack cases from non-combustable cement board, Ma-Oxide or similar.
maybe a composite of steel floor lined with cementboard. Have to ponder the options. Maybe intumescient paint on inside of the rack case, and a mechanism to disconnect the battery circuit if high temp or smoke is detected. Needs more thought. Disconnect all cells from one another if excess temp or smoke is detected...

Before I expanded my battery count from 2 to 4, they were in a metal box on wheels with an Anderson connector and a clear path to the driveway. Now I have four batteries on a metal rack with a Halon fire extinguisher on the other side of the garage. In the interest of early warning, I put a smoke detector right above the battery rack that's linked to the ones upstairs. But as previously mentioned, the best prevention is good building practices with attention to detail. Use proper fuse and cable sizes, make good clean and tight connections. Use an appropriate cell separator and strap or compress the cells to keep everything tight. Your chances of a fire are very remote if you do things right.

I can highly recommend this First Alert/BRK #3120B photo & Ionization dual sensor (not a carbon monoxide sensor)
Just don’t do any heat shrinking, soldering or smoking anywhere near it. But that’s what you want, the earliest heads up you can get. No alarm without a reason whatsoever in over a year now.

IMG_1136.jpeg

I can highly recommend this First Alert/BRK #3120B photo & Ionization dual sensor (not a carbon monoxide sensor)
Just don’t do any heat shrinking, soldering or smoking anywhere near it. But that’s what you want, the earliest heads up you can get. No alarm without a reason whatsoever in over a year now.

View attachment 179694
I have smoke and heat detectors in the shop already -that alarm locally and to my home (next door) since the shop has lots of other things far more likely to cause fire than the solar equipment!
I wonder is there a smaller version of the first alert that could be installed inside the DIY battery pack compartment? {perhaps taking the case apart and removing the guts inside would be a lot smaller form factor}

View attachment 179694
That's what I use and can confirm your observations. I vape and one of my sub ohm rigs makes an impressive cloud. Sometimes I forget and use it in the garage...always scares the $hit out of the warden! ?

That's what I use and can confirm your observations. I vape and one of my sub ohm rigs makes an impressive cloud. Sometimes I forget and use it in the garage...always scares the $hit out of the warden! ?
lol.
When the inverter/battery smoke alarm triggered, all the alarms went in the house went off. Didn’t see a cat for an hour. Freaked out.

this thread is making me nervous and scared with my pack in the basement

this thread is making me nervous and scared with my pack in the basement
Any inside the home solutions should be UL listed to make sure your insurance company does not have an excuse in case of fire damage.

Better to be Dead Right than Dead Wrong?

1701538900942.png

... to lithium batteries in the home.

Back