diy solar

diy solar

LTO battery fire

High voltage, but I don't think that had anything to do with the failure. Although, I didn't see recall of LG RESU 48V batteries.

My point was that using "Listed" batteries only makes you Dead Right, rather than being Dead Wrong.

Only partially, not entirely, I think.

They are non-LFP, a more dangerous chemistry.
But all batteries carry some fire danger. One forum member in Thailand was awakened by his fire alarms, and the large LiFePO4 battery bank was a total loss. Fortunately isolated well enough from the house. He now favors battery packs with welded busbars.

I posted in response to:

... which is true, but doesn't mean you won't have a fire.

I would favor putting all lithium batteries, listed or not, explody chemistry or not, in an "ammo dump", where their going up won't take anything else with it.
You mean I should move all the non-ethenol gas cans and large propane tanks for the generator away from the batteries? ?
Maybe move my reloading bench too...

Steve, you're a nicer man than I .
He’s nicer than me too…
The times in life I got my ass spanked publicly for being ditzy about stuff that was actually important or dangerous are the most the most remembered lessons I ever had…It part of manning up and growing up.
there’s nothing wrong with making a mistake ,as long as one learns from it..

The times in life I got my ass spanked publicly for being ditzy about stuff that was actually important or dangerous are the most the most remembered

Yea me too , in fact just the other day I was ...

As far as I know, not.

Then you don't know. Oxygen is being burned. The breakdown reaction is producing its own oxygen, but as you saw in the demo video, removing access to atmospheric oxygen significantly reduces the intensity of the fire.

But –of course– everything burnable around can be put to fire by the high temperature.

Only if oxygen is present

Then you don't know. Oxygen is being burned. The breakdown reaction is producing its own oxygen, but as you saw in the demo video, removing access to atmospheric oxygen significantly reduces the intensity of the fire.

Oxygen is needed. Try starting a fire in space. Even nuke blasts are muted due to no atmosphere.

Other reactions can release energy as well. Obviously a charged battery does, without interacting with atmosphere. If you mix acids with solvents, those react. Typically heat is released even if mixing is performed at moderate temperatures. It can get into runaway. Or, it can be triggered to release further energy later. The ones that come to mind immediately have oxygen in the molecule, but I think same occurs with oxygen free compounds.

LiFePO4 of course has oxygen, but maybe it doesn't result in additional energy release rearranging what's in the battery.
Fe we know combines with oxygen, but would give it up to Al. Since LiFePO4 battery fires can be extinguished, seems to contain elements that need external oxygen to fully react. (that would mean the battery is leaving some energy storage on the table in normal use.)

Even nuke blasts are muted due to no atmosphere.

Don't know if any additional energy is released combining atoms/molecules of air; are nitrous oxides lower or higher energy state than N2 and O2? Of course, at first everything is ionized, probably leaves some in higher energy state (O3).
Nuclear reaction releases energetic neutrons, gamma, X-ray. The X-rays are so soft they don't penetrate air vary far, rather super-heat it which is what causes the blast and wind, wind carrying destructive power over the greatest distance. In space, the products fly like an arrow, and interact with whatever they hit. Including thermal shock and spallation, also doping of semiconductors.

No wonder, burnable stuff around the battery burns...
...which reduces the intensity of the secondary fire.

But you can't reduce the thermal runaway by depriving oxygen.
The only way is to massively cool the battery by submersing it in a water pool.
And it will continue to "burn" under water, but the thermal runaway will stop earlier, once the temperature cooled enough.

You may want to read:
Enjoy !

Last edited:
If you read thru the followup, it seems it was some type of DIY BMS and he was charging over 3.65V per cell.
Yes but just goes to show LiFePo4 can and does burn under the right (wrong?) conditions

Back