diy solar

diy solar

Max current for MC4 connectors.

Divad

Hi, im trying to get my head around an off grid solar system that I want to build and have come upon a question that I cant seem to find the answer to.
I want to hook my 12 250w Panels solar panels up with 3 s, 111.3v and 4 p, 35.9A but it seems that the MC4 connectors have a max rating of 20A. Is this right or have I got it wrong.
I want to use this All in One Victron and this battery Battery

This is my first attempt at anything solar so if anyone sees a mistake with my wishlist could you please suggest an alternative.

Thanx Dave

MC4 is rated for 20amps, but you can find connectors with higher ratings in the MC4 format. They have thicker metal in the contacts. Working out which ones actually can carry more than 20amps safely is another thing. There is a lot of fake puffed up specs on ebay / ali / amazon etc.

@gnubie Thanx for the quick reply. I had a look and can get a Combiner Box that should fix my problem.
The box can handle 40A in 4 strings of 10A each and will take 250v input/output, so that should see me right.
Im amazed at the things and affordability of some of this stuff.

Thanx Dave

A combiner box is necessary when paralleling several panels. Each panel (or panel string) needs to be separately fused. The reason is that if a panel has an issue, it can be back fed with the combined current from all the other parallel panels, which can be enough to smoke the wire/connectors on the bad panel, maybe starting a fire.

Back