diy solar

diy solar

Micro wind turbine at 5 meters height

Yes, you can just hook it up. Just make sure it does not try to go over 150V otherwise the Classic will open up and let it go higher and higher.

But without being in a "storm", just wind, you should be fine. Try to pick a default startup turbine graph for wind-track that is the right battery voltage and close to input startup voltage that you want.

IF it just stalls again, you just may not have enough wind today ?

boB

OK, not being educated in wind as much as solar, what is a start up wind turbine graph of?
I did graph much of my initial data in the build and throughout testing, and compared it to some data like that I found on the Fieldlines site, and I scaled some of that data to match the blade diameters, tail weights and offset ratios for furling. Also used rewiring data for the star configuration from the Backshed site, so I am wired 36 pole 4x3C which should give a startup at 48 rpm. I confirmed much of this in testing, which gave me charging voltage (14.5) at 60 rpm, so not far off the mark there. This occurred at 7-8 mph wind speed, measured at the turbine. But it was unloaded then. Once hooked up, startup speed was doubled to 12-20 mph, so now it mainly functions during gusty winds or the rare steady gale/blizzard.
It was hunting alot and every time it moved it would stall and have to restart. It didnt happen with the old automotive 12v batteries in it, but when I switched to the new AGM deep cycle it has become a regular thing. I have since locked it to facing SSE to prevent the hunting, I have not tried disconnecting it yet, I may try that this weekend if there is enough wind, just to verify these observations.

Back