diy solar

diy solar

Midea Duo review

Bluedog225

Texas
As per the title, I got this air conditioner to keep my batteries and inverter cool. My system is set up in an insulated conex box.

The positive.

-The unit seems to cool well. I’ve only tried it in the mid 80s so far. I did run it in my house for a year to see if it was a dud. It did fine.
-My Victron display says it was pulling about 1100 watts on max but it seemed to settle down to 650 after a bit. Fan on medium. I’ll post an update when we get into the 100+ weather.
-It is an inverter unit and seems to have gentle fan/compressor startup.

There are a couple of pretty serious drawbacks.

First, the dual hose assembly is giant. And pretty poorly made. The plastic tabs that are supposed to hold it to the unit are fragile. As is the plastic assembly for passing the hose through a window. It’s just not done properly. The fittings on that end are poor quality. The whole deal needs to be redesigned. Additionally, the hoses are not long enough to vent through the floor. You can vent out the window at 90° and that’s about it.

Second, the condensate drainage system is ridiculous. There are three, count em, three drain ports on the back. One drain port for heat mode. One drain port for continuous drainage with a hose. And a final drain port for closed up operation and manual drainage.

And on this last option (manual drainage). There is just enough room for a saucer under the bottom manual drain port. And you need to tilt the unit over to drain it. There’s no way to do this without making a mess. Customer Service says be careful not to tilt the unit over too far or you will have an adverse effect on the refrigerant levels somehow. The only solutionis to put the whole unit on blocks or bricks so you have some room to have a reasonable chance of not draining water all over your floor.

Third, the instruction manual is sad. There’s no way to figure out what I’ve described without calling or chatting with Customer Service.

Fourth, it’s got a fancy Bluetooth/app thing going on. I’d rather it didn’t. A simple reliable dual hose portable air conditioner is all I’m after.

Bottom line-It’s a B-/C+ unit. Particularly at the roughly $700 price point (Costco).

There appear to be other units on the market with similar construction that worked out the drain line mess. I forget the name brand but one of them was reported to have a single drain line that exits out the hose assembly. Seems like a no brainer.

I’m on the fence about returning. I had to remove it and clean up a pretty large water mess with damage up the drywall. I’ll plumb in a hose to permanently drain it outside and give it a chance this summer with a min/max thermometer in the conex. I’ll also put it on a water heater galvanized tray to catch any leakage and drain it. Not sure I trust the thing.

IMG_0357.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0356.jpeg
    IMG_0356.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 1
Damnit... Sams has those "U" shaped 12KBTU for $299... I want 3!
They won't last, that's a great price .. Better order now.

Edit they aren't the U. Just a regular style with inverter.

They won't last, that's a great price .. Better order now.

Edit they aren't the U. Just a regular style with inverter.

DOH... Hey! THere's a "U" in Ultra damnit!!!! :p

I wonder what the min hole size is in a conex wall to mount a “U” unit?

The box pic below has the Costco number. The price has come down.

It’s just a big, clumsy unit with some drawbacks. Some of the reviews are pretty harsh regarding quality. Maybe I’ll come to love it later. This summer will be the test.

I had high hopes for a portable unit. But after owning it for a while, an old fashioned window unit type seems a lot more manageable and the drainage is taken care of.

Attachments

• IMG_1968.jpeg
    IMG_1968.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1788.png
    IMG_1788.png
    386.4 KB · Views: 5
Damnit... Sams has those "U" shaped 12KBTU for $299... I want 3!
Midea seems to make good stuff. I'll watch to see how your setup holds up. I also looked into the twin hose models, but ran into similar issues like you have already reported.

I am curious because I just bought one of the Midea "U" 8,000 BTU units for my upstairs room. I used a cheapo standard window unit for a few years, and it worked okay until the compressor locked up last summer. I got my money's worth out of it. My biggest comlpaint while it was working is that it was too loud when I was watching movies. The Midea "U" claims to be super quiet.

I spent a few hours today, trying to get the "U" mounted into my sideways sliding window. The brackets I made up for the standard window unit were no help at all. I actually wanted the GE upside down "U" version, but it was $100 more, not in stock, and only 12 CEER compared to the Midea at 15 CEER. Odd thing is the Midea spec page says it draws more current, Hmmm?? Max 7 amps at 120 volts is not bad though. It's also 9 db quieter than the GE version.

Where the window is meant to close into the "U", I have 1 inch thick rigid fiber insulation board, backed up with 1/4 inch plywood. I made it fit shun in the window track and screwed on tabs to keep it centered on the frame of the sliding window. I am sure the fiber board is a better insulator for both heat and noise from the outdoor side of the unit. Too bad, after I got it all mounted in nice, the cord is 1 foot too short to reach an outlet. Of course, you should NEVER use an extension cord for an air conditioner, right?

I keep looking at putting a mini split up there, but I just can't justify the cost. 8,000 BTU is more than I need for that room. The old one was just 5,000 and it kept up fine with a tiny bit of help from the central A/C.

I wonder what the min hole size is in a conex wall to mount a “U” unit?

After messing with mine for a while, you really do need about 22 inches wide and about 14 inches high to get it into the hole. But the thin bottom of the "U" is less than 3 inches thick, so you will then need to come up with something to block up the gaping hole it leaves. I'll try to post a pic of my setup a bit later.

Midea seems to make good stuff. I'll watch to see how your setup holds up. I also looked into the twin hose models, but ran into similar issues like you have already reported.

I am curious because I just bought one of the Midea "U" 8,000 BTU units for my upstairs room. I used a cheapo standard window unit for a few years, and it worked okay until the compressor locked up last summer. I got my money's worth out of it. My biggest comlpaint while it was working is that it was too loud when I was watching movies. The Midea "U" claims to be super quiet.

I spent a few hours today, trying to get the "U" mounted into my sideways sliding window. The brackets I made up for the standard window unit were no help at all. I actually wanted the GE upside down "U" version, but it was $100 more, not in stock, and only 12 CEER compared to the Midea at 15 CEER. Odd thing is the Midea spec page says it draws more current, Hmmm?? Max 7 amps at 120 volts is not bad though. It's also 9 db quieter than the GE version.

Where the window is meant to close into the "U", I have 1 inch thick rigid fiber insulation board, backed up with 1/4 inch plywood. I made it fit shun in the window track and screwed on tabs to keep it centered on the frame of the sliding window. I am sure the fiber board is a better insulator for both heat and noise from the outdoor side of the unit. Too bad, after I got it all mounted in nice, the cord is 1 foot too short to reach an outlet. Of course, you should NEVER use an extension cord for an air conditioner, right?

I keep looking at putting a mini split up there, but I just can't justify the cost. 8,000 BTU is more than I need for that room. The old one was just 5,000 and it kept up fine with a tiny bit of help from the central A/C.

After messing with mine for a while, you really do need about 22 inches wide and about 14 inches high to get it into the hole. But the thin bottom of the "U" is less than 3 inches thick, so you will then need to come up with something to block up the gaping hole it leaves. I'll try to post a pic of my setup a bit later.
Thanks. I wonder if that changes considering a thin walled conex? I was thinking of using the cutout to cover the hole. Rivet it on.

Edit-I looked at the pic of the u shape midea. I see it will take some source to get through the wall.

I got 2 pics from the outside which sort of show the way it sticks through. The inside pics didn't show anything.

IMG_4876.jpg

It comes with that bracket system with the legs against the wall, but it really needs a thicker wall, I have it on the setting for the thinnest wall and it just made it. I had to make the filler board in 2 pieces to get it in. The lower par goes over the thin section of the unit and leaves a nice flat top surface as I have to slide the other part in. The top and left side in these pics is a full 1/2 inch insie the window frame, so it can't tip from straight vertical.

The other pic has a bad sun flare. Here is the thumbnail.

IMG_4877.jpg

It's just showing the other direction, as close to the end of the window as I could get it.

I set it pretty cold as a test and it is very quiet on low fan, and blowing very cold air. It did make a few odd noises as it started up the compressor. They are predicting a fairly cold night so I am going to set the temp back up.

Once you get the U working / mounted you will be very happy with it. I used one for a season before installing a mini split.
Very quiet compared to a regular unit.
They say you aren't supposed to use an extension cord but I wouldn't hesitate to use a short whip of the appropriate gauge, especially on a unit like that that sips power.

Wow hopefully mine I gave my brother for his shop office makes it through a 3rd.
I brought it out last summer and it wouldn't blow any cold air anymore. You can tell the compressor wasn't kicking on. There was no issue with it for the previous 2 summers.

My U shaped died after only 2 summers.
This will be the 3rd summer with mine - I don't think they like being moved, so I just leave it in the window all year. Portland winters are pretty mild. I wasn't expecting it to last terribly long, but the efficiency and sound level would lead me to buying another.

I just picked up one of the portable 12k units. Costco had them on sale for $450 delivered, and I got it integrated with Home Assistant. I had extra power budget on my inverter and can run both the window unit and the portable on max at about 2200 watts. I extended the duct and piped the cold directly into the return duct of my furnace.

I can't wait for July when it starts to get really hot to test it out!
IMG_0839.jpg

Back