diy solar

diy solar

Success-air con in the conex

Bluedog225

Texas
I’ve been working on getting this done for a long long time. I insulated the heck out of my conex. And then installed all my solar stuff.

There’s enough room left to right for insulation, a rack of SOK batteries nestled inside one of those big industrial storage shelves from Costco, plus a Midea dual hose air conditioner, plus, I think, another rack of batteries.

The Midea has to be vented either out the back or through the floor. I chose the floor because I hate the idea of a side opening to let rain in. The Midea hose is not long enough to make it to the floor. But I hooked up a 6 inch hose for the hot air exhaust and a 10 inch hose for the intake. If my maths were correct. I’ve got a larger intake area than the original hose. one nestles inside the other. And it all exits through a hole in the bottom. A 12 inch hose for the intake would’ve been a better fit for the Midea plastic but I used what I had. Worked ok.

It’s only 65 today. I ran it down to 60 and it blows cold. We will know more when it’s 110 eff. Hoping to keep the batteries cooler than 80.

One more project off the list.

IMG_9965.jpeg

How many square feet is that area, and how many BTU is the AC?

160 ft.² for the conex with a couple of inches of polyiso insulation on the roof and all sides. Radiant barrier behind the foam and white elastomeric cool roof on the roof. The Midea is 12,000 BTU claimed.

I’ve been working on getting this done for a long long time. I insulated the heck out of my conex. And then installed all my solar stuff.

There’s enough room left to right for insulation, a rack of SOK batteries nestled inside one of those big industrial storage shelves from Costco, plus a Midea dual hose air conditioner, plus, I think, another rack of batteries.

The Midea has to be vented either out the back or through the floor. I chose the floor because I hate the idea of a side opening to let rain in. The Midea hose is not long enough to make it to the floor. But I hooked up a 6 inch hose for the hot air exhaust and a 10 inch hose for the intake. If my maths were correct. I’ve got a larger intake area than the original hose. one nestles inside the other. And it all exits through a hole in the bottom. A 12 inch hose for the intake would’ve been a better fit for the Midea plastic but I used what I had. Worked ok.

It’s only 65 today. I ran it down to 60 and it blows cold. We will know more when it’s 110 eff. Hoping to keep the batteries cooler than 80.

One more project off the list.

View attachment 199414

Is that a single-hose unit?

160 ft.² for the conex with a couple of inches of polyiso insulation on the roof and all sides. Radiant barrier behind the foam and white elastomeric cool roof on the roof. The Midea is 12,000 BTU claimed.
Nice. I hope you update us with the results over summer. There's plenty of us in 110F weather who would like to do something to keep the equip cool.

Back