diy solar

diy solar

Monofacial vs Bifacial - Are they calculated the same and how does the rear ISC impact the total ISC of 2 strings in parallel

Instead of 3x 8S strings set your panels to 2 strings of 12 panels. Still within 18K voltage limits and you have the input 1 mppt free for future use?
VOC- 41.5V x 12S = 498VOC, but you have to add an additional 25% for cold condition overvoltage (unless OP is somewhere that he won't ever see 40F or colder). 498 x 1.25 = 622.5VOC. I would definitely not do more than 9 or absolute max 10 panels in series on this voltage rated mppt!

Hitting that voltage level (600+ volts) even once will very likely destroy the mppts!

VOC- 41.5V x 12S = 498VOC, but you have to add an additional 25% for cold condition overvoltage (unless OP is somewhere that he won't ever see 40F or colder). 498 x 1.25 = 622.5VOC. I would definitely not do more than 9 or absolute max 10 panels in series on this voltage rated mppt!

Hitting that voltage level (600+ volts) even once will very likely destroy the mppts!
Fair enough, 12S might be tad high. IIRC 1.25 factor for VOC is the easy "rule of thumb" but rules* allows you to also calculate it from panel specs and lowest temperature on building site. OP's panels have -0.27%/K voltage coefficent so anything warmer than -49Cel/-56F would be ok.

*)Literally far from any sort of expert on North American standards but this should be from NEC 2017:
(A) Photovoltaic Source and Output Circuits. In a dc PV source circuit or output circuit, the maximum PV system voltage for that circuit shall be calculated in accordance with one of the following methods:

(1) Instructions in listing or labeling of the module: The sum of the PV module–rated open-circuit voltage of the series connected modules corrected for the lowest expected ambient temperature using the open-circuit voltage temperature coefficients in accordance with the instructions included in the listing or labeling of the module

Instead of 3x 8S strings set your panels to 2 strings of 12 panels. Still within 18K voltage limits and you have the input 1 mppt free for future use?

At the moment the plan is if after collecting data, input 1 cannot be paralleled, I will be adding panels as you suggested to open the 3rd input for further expansion.

Back