diy solar

diy solar

Mounting panels with unistrut

I typically use like hardware. Stainless steel/stainless steel. Zinc/zinc. But I'm not a purist. If it has to be done I'll use whatever hardware is on hand and slap a light coat of anti-seize (whatever flavor I have on hand or find first in the cabinet).
I don't think Stainless is a very good idea for most things.
Where I work all the young electricians like to use it but I prefer galvanized grade 5 bolt and galvanized hardware and strut.

Then it all rusts at the same speed without surprises.

I have seen 1/2 SS bolts mixed with common nuts and in a matter of just a few years the nuts are gone
Also stainless seems to have more issues with snapping in shear loads.
Grade 5 bolts more often bend than snap.

All bolts need to be the same grade as well to reduce th3e possibility of things loosening up

There are fibre glass unistruts made for special application where corrosion materials effect even stainless

This was how we made racks for panels in the old days.
I still like this product and its great to build a frame from with plenty of bracing, then you can bolt strut or anything else on you like.
but its time consuming and the young electricians do not like it

1715869131962.png

There is a story where I work about the chairman of the board that was infatuated with the alloy Monel.
Its a mix of copper and nickel ( same ratio the ore comes out of the ground at Creighton ) and resembles gold, it never rusts...
It was named after him so the story goes..
He has a very expensive yacht built and had all the nice decorative touches and hardware made out of Monel to make his boat pop!
Legend has it when the boat was put in the salt water in Jersey it began to corrode so fast you could see it happen and the yacht was scraped because the corrosion issues could not be corrected.

Back