diy solar

diy solar

Multiple grounding rods for solar panel install and electrical devices?

so my question is: Will I be causing any negative effects on the grounding by filling the post holes with concrete? Other than ensuring I'll never be able to get these things out of the ground again?
No, that's perfectly fine. Actually better, because concrete holds moisture and has a larger contact area with the earth.

update

I'm almost ready to start but I was thinking of another question. Maybe it was actually discussed already but since I'm so new at this I didn't realize

would it make sense or not to have a completely separate ground system attached to my solar panel array outside than the one that connects the inverter and stuff inside the shed?

something about a lighting strike hitting that array and there being copper wire all the way back to the devices in my shed is a little worrisome to me

am I just being silly?

update

I'm almost ready to start but I was thinking of another question. Maybe it was actually discussed already but since I'm so new at this I didn't realize

would it make sense or not to have a completely separate ground system attached to my solar panel array outside than the one that connects the inverter and stuff inside the shed?

something about a lighting strike hitting that array and there being copper wire all the way back to the devices in my shed is a little worrisome to me

am I just being silly?
One grounding system for everything.
If you separate the outside, it's not connected to the inside. Which means that it isn't grounded.
Connecting to earth is NOT grounding.
Grounding is for electrical safety. It has nothing to do with lighting.
Lighting protection is a completely different and separate system,

One grounding system for everything.
If you separate the outside, it's not connected to the inside. Which means that it isn't grounded.
Connecting to earth is NOT grounding.
Grounding is for electrical safety. It has nothing to do with lighting.
Lighting protection is a completely different and separate system,
okay thanks

what should I be doing for lighting protection on that solar array?

okay thanks

what should I be doing for lighting protection on that solar array?
Nothing, unless you have a large enough budget.
Lightning is going to do whatever it wants. It's very expensive to try to control it.
You can protect your inside equipment from a nearby lightning strike with SPD's.
They should be placed on the wiring, where it enters the building (shed).

Nothing, unless you have a large enough budget.
Lightning is going to do whatever it wants. It's very expensive to try to control it.
You can protect your inside equipment from a nearby lightning strike with SPD's.
They should be placed on the wiring, where it enters the building (shed).
Gotcha

guess I need to stop overthinking. I get a lot of lightning here in Florida but at the same time there are dozens of homes in my neighborhood with roof mounted panels and I don't see any signs of destruction

Guess I'll just chance it.. .but knowing my luck this thing will be a very expensive bbq by day two :LOL:

Happy New year, man!

Back