diy solar

diy solar

My build thread

I must have taken a wrong turn. Thought this thread was about "Timselectric Build Thread" which used to be one of the best threads here.

It has been a fun thread to watch. Demonstrates a lot of talent.

A lot has been accomplished here. Looking forward to further developments.

'Threads' have a tendency to weave their way into different paths. Tim's thread is a great one because he's always doing something useful, innovative or interesting, that creates a lot of chit-chat. Still waiting to see what ends up happening with all those panels...

Sorry, I haven't read this whole thread, but was wondering did you add onto your battery bank with those new cells yet? What is your capacity now in KWh?

Grid tie can be pure ass.

Best case for me is a system that provides 70% of my annual consumption will reduce my power bill by 30% or about $60/month average. Utilities in AZ are actively hostile against solar.
Adding battery storage can greatly change the equation but there is also such a thing as too much battery storage, imo

I don't think that I could ever get to that point. But it would be a huge accomplishment.
Ok so hear me out. If you grossly oversize the battery then it never fully charges from solar. So then it's just wasting money and calendar aging will slowly but surely eat into your investment.

If you grossly oversize pv you will always have excess so why not get some money for it?

And that way you don't have to have 200 kWh of battery storage.

Unless of course your utility pays literally zero for your export or makes you jump through endless hoops to interconnect.

Looking at it another way, you bought a pallet of panels for about .12 per watt after itc. If you factor in mounting, grid tie inverter, etc, I wouldn't be surprised at all if your cost of production is less than what the utility would pay your for that power

If you grossly oversize the battery does it never fully charge, or rather never fully discharge? One can top a bank off with a gennie as well.
If one’s got enough panels for a daily load, the oversize bank will still get cycled during weather events throughout the year imo

It seems like things such as affordable solar mounting, panels, inverters and what not that make projects like these budget friendly possible wouldn’t be as easy when implementing grid tie.

Ok so hear me out. If you grossly oversize the battery then it never fully charges from solar.
I wouldn't call that too much battery. I would call it too little solar.
If you grossly oversize pv you will always have excess so why not get some money for it?
The goal is no wasted excess. Put everything to use, somewhere.
And that way you don't have to have 200 kWh of battery storage.
200 kwh is 3 to 5 days of bad weather. Which should cover my normal usage. From what I have seen.
Looking at it another way, you bought a pallet of panels for about .12 per watt after itc. If you factor in mounting, grid tie inverter, etc, I wouldn't be surprised at all if your cost of production is less than what the utility would pay your for that power
Payback from grid-tied is getting less and less, everywhere.
I'm not interested in buying into something that is guaranteed to decrease in value.

Back