diy solar

diy solar

My First System is Up and Running

That looks great! I almost wish I would not have gotten the server rack for my 2 batteries and set them up like you did. It would make things a lot less cramped. I also need to go to my local electrical supply store and see what they carry for wireways so I can get everything managed and looking clean/safe.

Looks like you have a bunch of room to grow your system as well. Very nice.

Nice & Tidy but with a gotcha... The cells inside those rack mountable are now sideways and that is NOT good. I seriously suggest you get them OFF the ground and on a shelf, even stack them one on top the other (use small rubber gripper feet or pad to keep them from sliding) and you'll be happier from here on out.

tumblr_o045s34nVS1qa2swjo1_500.gifv

Nice & Tidy but with a gotcha... The cells inside those rack mountable are now sideways and that is NOT good. I seriously suggest you get them OFF the ground and on a shelf, even stack them one on top the other (use small rubber gripper feet or pad to keep them from sliding) and you'll be happier from here on out.

Thank you for this. I am going to address this right now.

I was wondering about that, wasn't sure how the cells are oriented in those batteries.

The A-Typical setup inside a "Rack" type case, is that when installed, the cell terminals & vents are on top and under limited compression. We have seen circumstances where cells on their sides have leaked and caused issues resulting in failures, a few resulting in fires. The electrolytes are corrosive and will compromise things. Worst thing about that, is "some" companies have sold them to people and they got shafted after problems started. Soe are still doing it and folks are still buying & installing them. If they were Pouch or Cylindrical cells it's not an issue but NOT with this type of Prismatic. Ohhh well...

Have a browse @ Midnite, their E-Panels do Magnum, SMA, Schneider, Victron ...
Yes, im a huge fan of midnite products. However I like Magnum panels for their inverters. They have ventilation through the wiring area and the little roof on top to keep clearance.

The Midnite panels have the inverter mounted on the door, this has kept me from ordering one, those Magnum LF inverters are heavy and i just dont like the idea.
Screenshot_20240510_130322.jpg

Its probably fine, generally everything Midnite is fantastic!

The A-Typical setup inside a "Rack" type case, is that when installed, the cell terminals & vents are on top and under limited compression. We have seen circumstances where cells on their sides have leaked and caused issues resulting in failures, a few resulting in fires. The electrolytes are corrosive and will compromise things. Worst thing about that, is "some" companies have sold them to people and they got shafted after problems started. Soe are still doing it and folks are still buying & installing them. If they were Pouch or Cylindrical cells it's not an issue but NOT with this type of Prismatic. Ohhh well...
Thank you for clarifying this, I was under the assumption *yep, I know* that these batteries were direction agnostic. I was not thinking about the vent sticker on top if there is an issue. Much appreciated.

Back