diy solar

diy solar

New 10kw NHX AIO From Watts247

I didn’t have any luck with the rs485 and Pylontech with the hub. It didn’t offer that in CAN.

However I think the Deye protocol might be the same thing. And that is on the CAN protocol with the hub I believe. Unfortunately I don’t have it on my wall anymore to test it.

You could try verifying with EG4 if the Deye protocol on the hub is actually Pylontech.
Thanks for the additional detail. I'll see what I can find out.

This direction to comms seems rather complicated for someone not too computer savvy. Hate to $witch to the newest jk inverter bms.

Also looks like it may not yet be doable for multiple bms's?

jk can bus

and this

jk comms

Last edited:
This direction to comms seems rather complicated for someone not too computer savvy. Hate to $witch to the newest jk inverter bms.

Also looks like it may not yet be doable for multiple bms's?

jk can bus

and this

jk comms
I'm not a huge fan of buying stuff and hoping it works... Still mulling the hub - I know its not much.
Another route would be to buy Solar Assistant, which I've read does work with the EG4 batteries, as well as battery shunts, etc.
Then use SA to control the inverter - changing settings and/or modes based on battery state of charge.
SA is $180 or so, and I was really wanting to try that out at some point anyway.

All that said I have been able to work with the NHX and make it work reasonably well. I set the low voltage cutoff to 49v. During the day, I have the inverter set on self consumption with no export - basically it will use solar to offset any loads, and when there's more solar than needed, it charges the battery. By evening, when the sun is down, the battery is full or close to it. I switch to the 'disable' advanced setting, which permits the batteries to offset loads as well. Limiting that to about 1000w, means by morning, I'm down about 10-15kwh, and ready to repeat the cycle.

Using this method, I'm using all the power from the panels, and not deeply discharging my batteries.

All this would work without the manual intervention if we have comms and can switch based on state of charge.

I'm not a huge fan of buying stuff and hoping it works... Still mulling the hub - I know its not much.
Another route would be to buy Solar Assistant, which I've read does work with the EG4 batteries, as well as battery shunts, etc.
Then use SA to control the inverter - changing settings and/or modes based on battery state of charge.
SA is $180 or so, and I was really wanting to try that out at some point anyway.

All that said I have been able to work with the NHX and make it work reasonably well. I set the low voltage cutoff to 49v. During the day, I have the inverter set on self consumption with no export - basically it will use solar to offset any loads, and when there's more solar than needed, it charges the battery. By evening, when the sun is down, the battery is full or close to it. I switch to the 'disable' advanced setting, which permits the batteries to offset loads as well. Limiting that to about 1000w, means by morning, I'm down about 10-15kwh, and ready to repeat the cycle.

Using this method, I'm using all the power from the panels, and not deeply discharging my batteries.

All this would work without the manual intervention if we have comms and can switch based on state of charge.
You can get SA for a lot less than 180. Buy a used raspberry pi 3 for 40-50 and buy the software for about 55.

So the inverter doesn't use battery after pv is out unless you manually change a setting?

During the day if pv is not sufficient is it discharging the battery or does it use the grid for the balance?

You can get SA for a lot less than 180. Buy a used raspberry pi 3 for 40-50 and buy the software for about 55.

So the inverter doesn't use battery after pv is out unless you manually change a setting?

During the day if pv is not sufficient is it discharging the battery or does it use the grid for the balance?
Self consumption with 'advanced mode - zero export' (ct's in the subpanel), will use solar and grid, but no battery
Self consumption with 'advanced mode - disable' (ct's in the main subpanel, will use solar and battery and grid

So with the daytime setting the batteries are not used, but they do charge with excess solar.

Self consumption with 'advanced mode - zero export' (ct's in the subpanel), will use solar and grid, but no battery
Self consumption with 'advanced mode - disable' (ct's in the main subpanel, will use solar and battery and grid

So with the daytime setting the batteries are not used, but they do charge with excess solar.
Darn, that's not ideal for tou arbitrage

Megarevo seems like they have a nice piece of hardware- they just need to get the software side right!
Agree - it seems to work fairly well. Being able to back-feed my basement subpanel and offset Oven, AC, Dryer, Dehumidifier covers a lot of my home's loads. I'm able to use all available solar this way without a lot rerouting a lot of wiring. That was the reason I bought this inverter. I was fairly happy with the 6000xp, but had was forced to deeply drain my battery in order to make sure I could use all available solar. I'd prefer to lightly use the battery, which should work just fine with the NHX, particularly with the battery coms working or SA.

I did have an email exchange with Ian last night. Hoping to get some clarification about how the inverter works with voltage cutoffs and such. I elaborated the parts of the inverter's functionality that don't honor the cutoffs (apparently) without battery comms. Will pass on anything I learn.

I did have an email exchange with Ian last night. Hoping to get some clarification about how the inverter works with voltage cutoffs and such. I elaborated the parts of the inverter's functionality that don't honor the cutoffs (apparently) without battery comms. Will pass on anything I learn.
Whoa!!! Stop right there. What was Ian's response??? Post it if you don't mind.

But yeah, SolarAssistant is pretty nice. On another level compared to most of the other solar apps out there. Wonder which inverter SolarAssistant would operate under with the nhx and what features it has? May be manu by the same company as Mega, but the software is supposed to be different.

Whoa!!! Stop right there. What was Ian's response??? Post it if you don't mind.

But yeah, SolarAssistant is pretty nice. On another level compared to most of the other solar apps out there. Wonder which inverter SolarAssistant would operate under with the nhx and what features it has? May be manu by the same company as Mega, but the software is supposed to be different.
Initially his response was just pointing out the obvious voltage settings that DO work around charging and battery cut-off. And I agreed that these work fine.

He asked me to elaborate about functionality in the inverter that does not work with a lead-acid/custom setup without comms. I pointed out some examples, so no real information yet.

Initially his response was just pointing out the obvious voltage settings that DO work around charging and battery cut-off. And I agreed that these work fine.

He asked me to elaborate about functionality in the inverter that does not work with a lead-acid/custom setup without comms. I pointed out some examples, so no real information yet.
Darn.

Painted the ground mount pole and swivel. Shopping around for dc breakers and more copper ... always more copper.

It does not have the 'buffer' setting that the victron has. So no, you can't set it to draw a steady 500w. Essentially it will attempt to zero out the draw from the grid when in self-consumption with feedback enabled.

No comms - that might help.
is there a setting that will limit the maximum amount of backfeed?

is there a setting that will limit the maximum amount of backfeed?
Yes, you can set the total back-feed as a percentage of the inverter's rated output. If I set it to 20%, then it back feeds up to 2000 watts - that is combined, from solar and battery I believe.

Yes, you can set the total back-feed as a percentage of the inverter's rated output. If I set it to 20%, then it back feeds up to 2000 watts - that is combined, from solar and battery I believe.
Is there a limit that will allow you to set the amount of backfeed, without feeding anything to the grid?

Is there a limit that will allow you to set the amount of backfeed, without feeding anything to the grid?
Well, you can use the export limit as I mentioned above that limits as a percentage of the inverter's output capacity.
If you set that, and in addition set the inverter for Self Consumption, with the CT's in the panel whose load you want to offset, then yes. You would offset those loads up to the capacity you set as a limit, and when the capacity exceeds the current load, your output is curtailed to only offset that current load.

This all works really well - I've been using it this way for several days now. Really the only thing I'm unhappy about is not being able to stop discharging the battery at a state of charge above the battery discharge cutoff. Once I get past that, this is really going to work well.

Back