diy solar

diy solar

New 48v solar power system - dc to dc charging

Seacraft18

First things first, this is my first post.

I want to pay thanks to Will for a great channel, Will is a great teacher, many thanks.

I am looking to install a new solar power system into my new Airstream. This will be my first time doing anything like this. It seems to me that 48v as a lot of advantages over a 12 volt system so I am leaning in that direction.

My question resolves around dc to dc charging from my F250. I am not really interested in installing a dedicated 48v alternator. Would it be possible to install a 12v to 48v converter before going into my dc to dc charger. I don’t even know if they make such a thing. This is all new to me so I am trying to learn and catch up fast.

System specs

Epoch batteries. 1-460ah or 2-300ah
All Victron components.
600-800 solar. Panels to be determined

Last edited:
Not COTS but lots of boost converters on AliExpress, for instance. Watch the details of power, current, and voltage limits on both input and output, derate significantly, and expect to make up your own case/mounts/heatsinks.

Once you get it working and properly documented buy spares. That’s the DIY way. 😁

I would think about using a 120v AC inverter connected to your truck electrical system of the appropriate size and then just plug a 48v DC charger into that.

Victron of coarse!

With 600-800 watts solar there may not be much need for vehicle charging. Maybe skip it unless vehicle charging becomes necessary.
I don't see a Victron 12-48 converter/charger.

Since the lean is 48 but uncommitted consider 12v battery and components. My 675w solar, 2000w inverter, 1200 a/h battery work just fine at 12v and charge direct from the truck with no converter. RV systems run direct from battery. Yes a few wires are a bit larger and yet still manageable with an RV.

With 600-800 watts solar there may not be much need for vehicle charging. Maybe skip it unless vehicle charging becomes necessary.
I don't see a Victron 12-48 converter/charger.

Since the lean is 48 but uncommitted consider 12v battery and components. My 675w solar, 2000w inverter, 1200 a/h battery work just fine at 12v and charge direct from the truck with no converter. RV systems run direct from battery. Yes a few wires are a bit larger and yet still manageable with an RV.
This very well may be the direction I am heading.

Back