diy solar

diy solar

new to solar off of the grid

Deube

I purchased a hunting cabin that is wired for a generator and wanted to add a solar system that I could use in conjunction. It would run lights, small frig, microwave? Could I do this for under $2000?

Yes you may not be able to afford the highest quality parts but you can still get reasonable stuff within your budget. Your biggest issue will be storage so with that budget you may need to stick with SLA batteries which would be fine if you are only using system during hunting seasons.

Yes you may not be able to afford the highest quality parts but you can still get reasonable stuff within your budget. Your biggest issue will be storage so with that budget you may need to stick with SLA batteries which would be fine if you are only using system during hunting seasons.
Is there a diagram of how to hook into the electrical box and a parts list?

Your best bet is to look at the FAQ section then come back with any questions you have. We like for people to learn about how solar works so that they can set up a system that matches their needs best.

But first thing you need to know is how much energy your stuff draws in watts. From there you can build a system based on needs. Wills videos are good as well.

I did and didn't see anything about hooking into the electrical panel or running the system or hooking to it.....unless I'm missing it?

How do you run generator power into electrical service? Some inverters have a spot to hardwire an AC output others just have recepticals that you can plug your AC panel in to. This may work best if you are using a generator at times as well.

The cabin has a 30amp 3 prong plug receptacle that the generator feeds. That line goes into a electrical box.

Back