diy solar

diy solar

Newbie trying first 16s 304ah diy lifepo4 battery. What would be your best overall 200a BMS recommendation?

Aridom82

Learning addict
I am going to build my first battery.
It will be 16s 304ah lifepo4 but i dont know where to start with the BMS. I need something that can push 200amps
What would be your best recommendation? Thanks
16s.jpg

If you need the battery to push more amps than the bms can supply, you can always add a contactor. This is a large relay. What happens is the bms controls the contactor and the large load goes through the contactor.

For my system I used a contactor based bms. The contactor I used is a Tyco EV200AAANA (that’s the 12-36v one - they have a 48v one).

Good Luck

I would base my decision on which inverter I was using and whether I wanted communication between inverter and BMS.
well i really dont need communication between inverter and bms. I see some brands, Daly, JBD, JK, i am kind of lost here. Could you point out a model that you would recommend?

If you need the battery to push more amps than the bms can supply, you can always add a contactor. This is a large relay. What happens is the bms controls the contactor and the large load goes through the contactor.

For my system I used a contactor based bms. The contactor I used is a Tyco EV200AAANA (that’s the 12-36v one - they have a 48v one).

Good Luck
Thanks, i will take it into consideration

What is the inverter? No communication between these two has both pros and cons. An example is SOC drift on the inverter side and having 50% charge in the battery, but the inverter shutting down due to low SOC.

But if you don't need communication - JBD has a 200A inverter with an active balancer.

What is the inverter? No communication between these two has both pros and cons. An example is SOC drift on the inverter side and having 50% charge in the battery, but the inverter shutting down due to low SOC.

But if you don't need communication - JBD has a 200A inverter with an active balancer.
this is my system, i have 3 voltronic max axpert 8kw each, and also i have 3 orient power server rack batteries (jakiper battery clone)
i am going to add diy lifepo4 batteries in the 16s configuration. Maybe i can use a bms similar to the ones the jakiper, sok, etc batteries have, with the little screen and interface i dont know yet.int2 (2).JPG

If you can find the exact BMS that your existing batteries use and use that in your DIY pack that would be the best overall. But after that either a JBD with contactor or JK are good units.

You really don't need a 200A BMS if you are paralleling with the batteries already in place. 4 batteries in parallel would split the load. The battery bank I built has 4 batteries in parallel. Charging at 120A is 30A per battery, discharging at 160A is 40A per battery.

I am looking to the JK and they look good, however my batteries (and a lot of other brands) use a bms that looks like this. This is the seplos smart bms. Are these any good?
s-l1600.jpg

You really don't need a 200A BMS if you are paralleling with the batteries already in place. 4 batteries in parallel would split the load. The battery bank I built has 4 batteries in parallel. Charging at 120A is 30A per battery, discharging at 160A is 40A per battery.
yes the more i look into it the more it looks like something like 100A would be enough. What do you think about the seplos smart bms?

yes the more i look into it the more it looks like something like 100A would be enough. What do you think about the seplos smart bms?
I run a Batrium on my house bank. I have several JBD/Overkill and those work well.

Andy from Off Grid Garage did some testing on Seplos, wasn't a good experience. But some members here used Seplos and had good luck. Start with this long thread about Seplos. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/seplos-can-bus-rs485-48v-200a-8s-16s-bms.20051/

JBD has a 200A inverter with an active balancer.
I think it is the JK which has the active balancer.
Could you point out a model that you would recommend?
I currently use JBD BMSs one of which has a contactor and I would recommend that brand based on personal experience.
I use a JK 2 Amp active balancer on my larger pack and have had good experience. I have also read good reviews on their BMS with active balancer.

I am looking to the JK and they look good, however my batteries (and a lot of other brands) use a bms that looks like this. This is the seplos smart bms. Are these any good?

This is the Seplos BMS. A dedicated thread in the forum exist about them - https://diysolarforum.com/threads/seplos-can-bus-rs485-48v-200a-8s-16s-bms.20051/ .

Are they good - I would say yes. The do have some flaws. Like low balancing current and not as good as I would like configuration options. Also lack of proper documentation.

But since you already have 3 of them it make sense to continue using them. This would enable you to enable communication between the batteries and the inverters.

I've had a very good experience with my JBD BMS. It's a 4s 12 volt but they make a good 16s 48 volt also. If you were in the U.S. I would recommend looking OverkillSolar.com for a JBD. You can still buy JBD from other non-US sources.

Back