diy solar

diy solar

Off Gridder In So.W. Indiana

JeepHammer

Solar Wizard
60 year old river rat from So.W Indiana that's been off grid for 20+ years.
Built my system through trial & error (a LOT of error!) and continually updating as new technology comes available.
I own and operate a machine shop that's also off grid.

Welcome. River rat here about 75 miles up stream on the ohio.

A machine shop off grid is interesting. Whats the specs on your system?

40+ mixed panels with an average of about 200 Watts each, 6 battery strings, redundant 220 vac inverters, propane generator backup.
Almost 30 kWh of batteries.
I'm in the process, nearly complete, of switching from lead/acid to LiFePo4 batteries, and I kind of overdid the battery thing... ;)
I was thinking I'd fill the same space as lead/acid while I could get them cheap and went further than I needed to.
Like I said, trial & error since I'm not particularly educated in some of the newer technology... Yet...

Small jobber shop, machine & welding.
It's usually farm equipment, non-ferrous (mostly brass) parts production, and bending/welding a lot of tubing.
8 full time employees.

I call it mix & match of whatever I could find/afford/figure out how to cobble it together.
I had exactly zero experience, no idea what I was doing but the closest power lines were a mile away, 17 miles from a town.

Keep in mind I'm a 'Boomer' and solar was a joke/gimmick according to all the propaganda, which I believed.
I started in a field of weeds & scrub brush and use a '73 Jeep to mow and plow with, dead broke after buying the land. I couldn't afford the $15,000 for a transformer the Rural Electric company wanted to get started, and they were going to tack $118,000 over the next 20 year to the bill for poles, wires, whatever it took to get power back here...
A second mortgage before the first mortgage since I paid cash for the land (couldn't get a loan on it).

I am NOT an expert in anything, not even a talented amateur, I have some basic education, but everything I know is trial & error.
17 years as a farm kid, 16 years as a US Marine, seriously disabled and therefore virtually unemployable, I started my own business, something I could do (sitting down)...
I understand basic circuits, always have, and I learned the electro-magnetic link about 1st grade, so I started rebuilding starters, alternators, generators, making wiring harnesses, etc.
When the business grew a little I started selling batteries and took a welding class.
Ignition systems, starting/charging systems, mechanical & electro-magnetic stuff comes easily to me (makes sense), I do have an issue with people (don't make sense), so if I come across gruff or seemingly topic please forgive that... I do have a point, it just takes a while sometimes...

I backed into solar butt first, and I mean that literally.
I planted gardens starting a homestead like my grandparents had, and my first build was a 'Latrine' (privvy) with a shower. After 16 years in the Corps, I was VERY familiar with latrines! ;)

I bought battery powered tools, and if you remember in that time it was Ni-Cad or nothing, so the batteries were soon dead, and that's if I remembered to charge them...
So I bought a gas generator, extension cords, 110 vac power tools and it took about a month before I realized 5 or 10 minutes an hour power tool time, 50-55 minutes rattling my brain noise wasn't going to work for me.

I gutted the non-functional batteries and attached cords, used the second battery from my Jeep for power.
I'm now officially battery powered, but I have to run the Jeep to charge the second battery, but it does last mostly all day.
I bought an inverter for the power saw, and ran the Jeep when I needed it (other than the chain saw).

I got another battery, which I hooked a cheap solar panel to for charging through the week so I didn't cycle the life out of my Jeep battery, even a 1 or 2 amp charge will bring the battery back to full charge over a week's time since I only got out there on weekends, holidays, vacation, etc.
And that's how I backed into solar....

Back then solar kinda was a joke. Its really just now in past 10 years becoming cheap and with lifepo4 very powerful. Something about power from the sun speaks profoundly to me though. True freedom.

Since I started with panel strings directly charging batteries, then I needed a charge controller...
And as I did more, I simply expanded.
Being in the river bottoms I don't get much wind, I tried wind generators and they will do a little charging, but I need WAY more mast than I could afford back then...
But I did learn the lesson about generating in AC, pushing through wires and rectifying to DC at the batteries.

After endless battery problems I found fork truck batteries, 24 volt inverters and Anderson connectors and things REALLY cleaned up, and a solar convert was born.
My cobbled together system looks more professional, but it's still 'Modular' instead of 'Integrated', I like the redundancy and ease of maintenance since I'm entirely off grid, and I plan to die here.
Charge controllers per battery string, desulfidators where needed (almost a thing of the past), and inverters that have one job, to be inverters.

When everything changed for me was a golf cart.
I was looking for cheap deep cycle batteries and found a set in a golf cart, but the owner said I had to haul off the old golf cart to get the batteries.
Transportation AND a powerful battery bank,
Add an electric air compressor & large reserve tank, and inverter, a couple cord/hose reel, some creative wiring between batteries and it would run my converted 'Cordless' tools, the 110 vac tools, air tools, weld off the batteries,
3 decent sized solar panels for a sun shade 'Roof' and a pig tail to plug it into the fixed solar panels when not in use...

Although every 'Reaganite', FUD, 'Boomer', science denier and now 'Trumpanzee' & right wing talkshow host (Lush Dimbulb) had drilled into me solar was a 'Publicity Stunt', you simply can't argue with what is working right in front of you every day...
I was so stubborn it took two years for me to get it through my skull this 'Crap' was actually working!
And you know the newly converted, when it soaked in I went full out and never looked back...

BUT,
You start to question everything you *Thought* you knew...
I now mix old with new, I home can & jar, but I'm using electro-magnetic induction instead of fossil fuels or wood for heat.
Stole that idea from my brass annealing & reconstitution (metallurgy) and my bolt buster/solder pots, just scaled it up a little...

I'm using solar power/electro-magnetic induction, a time/temp data logger to ensure the contents got hot enough, but using a 100 year old tin can seamer to seal the cans.
You can't argue with what works...

Back then solar kinda was a joke. Its really just now in past 10 years becoming cheap and with lifepo4 very powerful. Something about power from the sun speaks profoundly to me though. True freedom.

I remember when a good, reliable 120 watt panel was $600...
My first break, and my first good panels came from a state highway equipment auction.
Kyocera 200 watt panels, batteries, charge controllers, etc from highway road signs that had been hit or stopped working. Everyone thought I was nuts.

I cobbled together the little trailers and sold them for what I spent at the auction and kept all the solar stuff!
I had seriously considered calling the Rural Electric company until that point...
Lawn mower trailers were worth more than the solar equipment around here!

My first try at solar tracking was an office trailer frame and a big truck axle the coal mine left behind.
Pulled an axle and reversed it, bolted it back down and sunk it into concrete, then bolted the trailer frame to the brake drum on the 'Up' end.
I used a screw jack from a satellite dish to rotate it, a timer and stop switches to sun track.
An instant 20-30% boost in power from junk & 4 bags of cement...

I left the axles under the trailer because I didn't know if it was going to work, and found out later that with wheels there isn't any property tax on it in my state... SCORE TWICE!

Welcome to the group! I understand all the words above individually, but together in a sentence it seems like nonsense! :ROFLMAO:

I look forward to hearing more about your setup. It sounds awesome.

I had a lot of room from lead/acid batteries and I tried to fill up the same space with little (vehicle battery size) LiFePo4 1kWh batteries not realizing there was 4x useable energy in each battery.
I actually gave away 15 to my niece and her husband this summer, and I have 10 or 12 more sitting on a cart waiting for me to get to them...

When we run the 3 phase machines I start the welder/generator and everything runs, the batteries all get charged.
(Well pump, chargers, etc all get supplied when the generator starts, a LOT of excess power going to waste otherwise)
So everything stays topped off, solar provides the normal 220 vac power for house & shop.

Wanna sell a few to me?

Right now, no, but if the supply holds out maybe...
At this particular time, my supply has no idea what they are worth and are selling them to me for beer & pizza money.

They sold me fork truck batteries for scrap weight to get rid of them, and it's a manufacturer's distributor so sending a steel case battery back to the factory involves a big truck, so they just get credit & scrap 'em, I've shred those a bunch of times, but the LiFe batteries don't come in every day to them, so I can only snag between 10 & 30 a couple times a year.

If the solar PV & solar thermal works out at my Niece's house, they might want to go off grid next summer and that will take extras.
I think I have the surge issues figured out with LiFe batteries, and I'm looking to replace my last 48 volt lead/acid string if that's the case, so I have a use for what's laying around right now, plus I haven't load cycled them, I get a bad one every once in a while, and I killed two trying to figure out how to convert the charge controllers over... live & learn...

Welcome JH, glad you got my PM at that "Other Place", welcome to the "Light Side" !

BTW: Between my PM at the other place and just now (just got in) I managed to score a 5.5Kw Inverter Generator by Onan with a switch (autostart), 70 hours on it for 1 grand ! (guy bought it for his Land Yacht (Winnebago type) and rolled it 2 weeks later). scooped the little high efficiency furnace too for $400.

Everything you've written suggests otherwise. :)
All of your practical experience will be valuable to just about everyone here.
I aimed JH at this site, knowing he would have a lot of great stuff to share with folks... and he has no issue of saying "Oh shit, I screwed that up, don't do that", something too many folks never admit or share.

Why lie?
If you admit blame then you can get right onto fixing the problem instead of arguing hours to fix the blame...
Besides, you get some GREAT stories out of screwups, no one ever got a super good story when everything went 'Ho-Hum' or 'I guess it's OK'!

I went to do a 2 minute welding job in the back 40, but broke an axle & rolled the Jeep is how homesteader/off-roader stories that get retold! ;)

17 years as a farmer, 16 years as a Marine, 24 years as a homesteader,
Trust me, I've run into more than my share of problems, field fixes, and I've screwed plenty of it up and had to start over.

A newbie asks, "How did you do that?"
An old hand asks, "How much of a pain was it to figure that out?" And listen to every single word of the failure stories!
It's ALL golden, hard won experience talking after that!
When that guy gets done recounting the story, you will know 15 directions NOT to waste time/money on...

When I burn my eyebrows off (which used to happen with amazing regularly) I don't pretend they are still there or I did it on purpose...
I'm not a politician... ;)

I'm a hillbilly that played with fire, still plays with gunpowder, chemicals, fuels, high voltage & high amperage...

Sometimes it's a LOT of fun :) Sometimes it's just painful :(

Sometimes I put the fire sprinklers to good use!

Last edited:
I've sure been happy with my Onan out of a motor home!
Low RPM so it doesn't rattle you brain, ducted cooling so with some pipes you can put it anywhere.
I have a 7.5 kW that is OLD, but I've found EVERYTHING for it on the surplus market so I have several spares for everything, I even found a propane conversion from Onan for like $120 so it's now dual fuel if need be.
Built in remote start was REALLY nice, I wish we still had a good old 'Junk Yard' around here...
I ever win the lottery I'm buying a junk yard just to see what comes in I can tinker with! ;)

Back