diy solar

diy solar

Okay. Now I did it! 34 used solar panels/34 SolarEdge DC optimizers/inverter - Whoah!

BlueMarblePA

Solar Enthusiast
I am just a hobbyist and started on my solar journey with a small shed project with 4 x 280watt panels and 2 x 12vx100Ah batteries and Victron equipment. I started this just two months ago, and I am hooked.

Well, I wasn't looking for this big a purchase, but somebody was selling these for a good price (<15 cents a watt), so I ended up buying 34 used Trina monocrystalline solar panels (4 years old) as well as all the solaredge DC optimizers, the Solaredge inverter, and the strange roof rails (bottom rail only with ?clips? at the top.

Now what?!!!!

I have a roof on my main home that can support the panels, but I was taking my time to figure it all out, and all of a sudden I now have a huge pile of equipment.

The first question I have is whether Solaredge is good for DIY. My solar shed with 4 panels is off grid, Victron, no optimizers or microniverters, and it will stay that way, and I was having fun with it. However, this big of a system needs to be on my roof since I don't have the space for a ground mount (except maybe mobile). If I am going to install myself but then have an electrician ultimately grid-tie, should I continue to use Solaredge. My local companies which use Solaredge refuse to install used equipment. In addition, I had originally hoped my home grid-tie system would be a Solark 15k.

Thank you in advance, because honestly I am overwhelmed.

Attachments

• 20221113_154255.jpg
    20221113_154255.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 77
Congratulations! Hope to see more posts and photos as you build out your system.

Physical installation is probably a lot like microinverters, that is the wiring and mounting is straight-forward. It's the activation that might cause issues.

Enphase (what I have) has a free "university" web site which makes it very easy to learn everything about the system. On a hunch, I checked to see if SolarEdge had anything similar and found: https://www.solaredge.com/aus/learning-center - I've no idea if it's anywhere near as good... but still I'd say this should be your next stop; but other more knowledgable members might have more to offer.

Well, I wasn't looking for this big a purchase, but somebody was selling these for a good price (<15 cents a watt),
Congrats on your treasure find!
The first question I have is whether Solaredge is good for DIY.
Only if you intend to DIY install a solaredge inverter :)
My local companies which use Solaredge refuse to install used equipment.
Shop around, many do. It is just following the rules.

In addition, I had originally hoped my home grid-tie system would be a Solark 15k.
Any non-solar edge inverter will not work with the solaredge optimizers afaik.
I would take them off, sell them on ebay towards getting eg tico optimizers/RSD devices.
Then you can run them with the inverter of your choice!
The bargain you go is so good, you basically you got the optimizers for free.
What a deal!

Last edited:
The first question I have is whether Solaredge is good for DIY.
My personal opinion is no it is not.

Its grid tie only system. This requires inspection and permits as well as a long list of requirements that may be difficult to ascertain for a DIY person. "contact an electrician"

As grid tie only you can not make use of it when the grid is down, which for my use case is a massive disadvantage of useing solar (one might argue the only case)

Ive seen those optimizers sell for pretty good money, you could maybe sell the optimizers and inverter and end up with getting all the panels pretty much free.
time to think long term about grid tie, or batteries and off grid etc before jumping to use the solaredge equip

You can still use those optimizers with any inverter of your choice with a solar key.

Awesome find and deal.
I'd sell the optimizers/inverter and run high voltage strings to the Solark (you could list it for a feeler to see what you get / if they are worth selling)
If you're still overwhelmed I'll buy some panels off you for 25 cents a watt.

I started with 200 watts of panel and 400wh of battery on a 24v system, in less than a year I have 6000 watts of panels and 22kwh of battery on a 48v system. I want more!

You're damned right it's an addiction ?

You can still use those optimizers with any inverter of your choice with a solar key.
Does this work in the US? Does it still retain rapid shut down?

After getting some quotes (all >$20,000 for installation of my own panels), I am leaning towards doing it myself. Greenlancer.com seems to be able to provide all the appropriate drawings for submission for permitting.

Do I really need an electrician to do the final connection? IF I am just sending the 7.6kW to my electrical panel, I can just add 40amp load-side breaker to my 200 amp panel (although I will have to move some circuits and add some tandem circuits). This seems pretty easy to do.

After three weeks, my AHJ just approved my permit for home owner self installation (25 of the 34) panels. I left 3feet at the Ridge and on the side of the southeast roof, and I left one panel open for a plumbing vent. Now all my planning comes into play!

So I started installation of the used recycled Unirac SFM microrail railless system today. Everything was going well, but at the end, I rushed on the top row.

I just realized now that I did not put the flashing on the top row high enough. It does not extend under the third course of shingles. Unirac and Ecofasten specifically say that I need to extend the flashing higher. I think I have to go back and do this for all of the 12 roof penetrations. Argh. What do you think?

The Unirac SFM Infinity block needs to extend one inch below the red line (chalk line). The problem is that my flashing is only maybe three inches under the adjacent shingle.

I could try to move it up, or according to Unirac world, I am supposed to put the roof penetration below the chalk line and then cut the shingle out.

Fortunately, my bottom row and middle row are fine.

Top Row Roof problem.jpg

Attachments

• 20230226_154850.jpg
    20230226_154850.jpg
    804.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230226_144533.jpg
    20230226_144533.jpg
    638.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20230226_082221.jpg
    20230226_082221.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 26
So I started installation of the used recycled Unirac SFM microrail railless system today. Everything was going well, but at the end, I rushed on the top row.

I just realized now that I did not put the flashing on the top row high enough. It does not extend under the third course of shingles. Unirac and Ecofasten specifically say that I need to extend the flashing higher. I think I have to go back and do this for all of the 12 roof penetrations. Argh. What do you think?

The Unirac SFM Infinity block needs to extend one inch below the red line (chalk line). The problem is that my flashing is only maybe three inches under the adjacent shingle.

I could try to move it up, or according to Unirac world, I am supposed to put the roof penetration below the chalk line and then cut the shingle out.

Fortunately, my bottom row and middle row are fine.

View attachment 137004
what is the wattage on the used Trina solar panels you got?

I'd redo the top row, rain leaks are bad.

Just cut the shingle to clear the mount part that sticks up and put the flashing under the uncut part.

This is an example, first random Google image search that shows what I mean.
1677472380703.png

I am just a hobbyist and started on my solar journey with a small shed project with 4 x 280watt panels and 2 x 12vx100Ah batteries and Victron equipment. I started this just two months ago, and I am hooked.

Well, I wasn't looking for this big a purchase, but somebody was selling these for a good price (<15 cents a watt), so I ended up buying 34 used Trina monocrystalline solar panels (4 years old) as well as all the solaredge DC optimizers, the Solaredge inverter, and the strange roof rails (bottom rail only with ?clips? at the top.

Now what?!!!!

I have a roof on my main home that can support the panels, but I was taking my time to figure it all out, and all of a sudden I now have a huge pile of equipment.

The first question I have is whether Solaredge is good for DIY. My solar shed with 4 panels is off grid, Victron, no optimizers or microniverters, and it will stay that way, and I was having fun with it. However, this big of a system needs to be on my roof since I don't have the space for a ground mount (except maybe mobile). If I am going to install myself but then have an electrician ultimately grid-tie, should I continue to use Solaredge. My local companies which use Solaredge refuse to install used equipment. In addition, I had originally hoped my home grid-tie system would be a Solark 15k.

Thank you in advance, because honestly I am overwhelmed.
These panels look so nice. In looking at those MLPE, I realized that anodized aluminum is not a conductor. How are you going to create bonding of these panels and the MPLEs? Or is that not required.

I'd redo the top row, rain leaks are bad.

Just cut the shingle to clear the mount part that sticks up and put the flashing under the uncut part.

This is an example, first random Google image search that shows what I mean.
View attachment 137038
Thank you. I have been kicking myself all evening for rushing. I can't fix until next weekend. I hope it doesn't cause a leak in the interim

These panels look so nice. In looking at those MLPE, I realized that anodized aluminum is not a conductor. How are you going to create bonding of these panels and the MPLEs? Or is that not required.
The micro rails themselves as well as the splices to the panels provide the bond

Back